GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » General

Subject: Using a Chess Timer to Keep the Game on Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric LotR
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming partner and I really enjoy this game, but we both suffer from over-analyzing turns and situations. We've managed to stretch a single match of classic Confrontation out to 90 minutes. Understandably, that wasn't a very fun match.

So we got talking about using a chess clock to keep the game flowing. I pulled up a chess clock on my android phone, and we setup a game and tried it out. We both went into it with the idea that we would minimize any over-thinking and were trying to get the game done in a reasonable time frame. First match (variant characters) was over in 17 minutes! Amazing! I would strongly suggest introducing a player timer if you have a player or group that suffers from analysis paralysis.

If you're curious, this is the app I downloaded:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chess.cloc...

We setup a custom config with 15 minutes per player and a 5 second delay between turns. The matches we've played so far, we pause the timer when combat starts. Once one player has chosen their battle card they may start the player clock for the other player. Once the other player plays their battle card the timer is paused again. And it is resumed once combat is resolved completely.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Thoughts? We liked this so much we plan on implementing timers in other strategy games that we have (Battle of Five Armies, War of the Ring, etc) where we tend to go way over the play time listed on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!! There's also this made specifically for board gamers. It will time up to 6 players. You just turn the cube to the next player and it resets for them. Own it and like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LotR
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I did not know such a product existed. We went with the smartphone app as the cost was 0 and didn't know how well we'd like the timer concept.

We've played a couple more matches and have reduced the time available to each player down to 7.5 minutes each instead of 15. I think there's too much time during a match where the clock is not ticking (like when both players are deciding a combat card), therefore the 30 total minutes ends up being too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.