1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: A place where you can play TS online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avishay Z
Israel
flag msg tools
Well, everyone knows vassal and wargameroom; but to be honest, I didn't like them.

Wargameroom's interface is not newb friendly (e.g. it takes several clicks to see the effect of a card you've got in your hand), and it's graphics are outdated. Moreover, you have to configure your router to forward its' port which is quite a hassle (well, at least it was for me)

and about Vassal - its' community is very thin. I live in a GMT+2 time zone, and had a VERY hard time finding a partner to play with (maybe it's easier if you live in America, but I don't know...).
Its' interface is better, but it's quirky.

Anyway, I looked for alternatives and found this: http://chantry-games.com/
I'd suggest you'll look into it. The interface is better, I didn't have to wait too much to find a match, and most importantly - Both vassal and wargameroom's communities were consisted of experienced players, chantry's community did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I get a server error when I try to follow the link back from my registration email. Perhaps I will try again later. I would be interested to hear if it is working for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Smith
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After that rainbow dinosaur error you just need to go log in with the password that you provided and are fine to play twilight struggle. I am curious why there is only TS on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it async only, played in the browser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
Is it async only, played in the browser?
It supports both, although there is no turn notification so you need to check the game page manually if playing asynch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chantry is an EXCELLENT place to play TS. It works kind of like Yucata as far as live vs. asych. It's live as long as both players are there and taking their turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thread mentioned playing on smart phones via chantry. I've tried to get the site to work on my android with no success. Has anyone else been able to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you are aware that there is a digital version of TS in the works, that was funded by Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559431060/twilight-stru...

This means you will be able to play vs AI or vs other players, via PC or Ipad, and maybe Android devices.

I'll wait for this to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The news page refers to 'fixing the China Card' - is there a problem with it on this implementation? Any other known bugs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donut2099 wrote:
Another thread mentioned playing on smart phones via chantry. I've tried to get the site to work on my android with no success. Has anyone else been able to?
Works fine for me. Not the most mobile friendly game site out there but certainly usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Chantry is an EXCELLENT place to play TS. It works kind of like Yucata as far as live vs. asych. It's live as long as both players are there and taking their turns.
Works fine on my iOS devices, but no idea about Android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Laeveren
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chantry is a FANTASTIC site. I love it. Ok, sometimes server errors, but they occur lesser and lesser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
donut2099 wrote:
As far as I understand, the Android default browser should work from version 4.4; Firefox on Android should work from version 39.

TwoShedsJackson wrote:
The news page refers to 'fixing the China Card' - is there a problem with it on this implementation? Any other known bugs?
The China Card bug was fixed shortly after that news item. There are a few outstanding gameplay bugs: you cannot stop Cuban Missile Crisis during the resolution of op-granting cards; Headline play of Grain Sales and WWBY will award VP during headline; Flower Power sometimes doesn't give VP for war cards play.

The send-message and registration email features are buggy in that they show user-facing error despite the messages being sent.

muchenik wrote:
I am curious why there is only TS on there.
That's because site author lies around all day on a sandy beach sipping Margaritas and planning world domination.

Thanks all for publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried it for the first time. An initial hangup when I started--I kept seeing the dinosaur screen that says there's a big problem. But after a couple of tries, it worked.

The interface is very nice, you can easily see all the cards that have been played, mouse over for text, I like that it shows me the current scoring status in each region, very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can someone describe what chantry is like to play? Whenever I logon I see a couple people in the room, but there's no chat or no one seemingly actively looking for a game. Also, it seems the games that are running are several hours old, or even days.

I guess I'm wondering how do I join a game and play right away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
jim90808 wrote:
Can someone describe what chantry is like to play?

Sweet. Best online implementation I've tried.

jim90808 wrote:
Whenever I logon I see a couple people in the room, but there's no chat or no one seemingly actively looking for a game. Also, it seems the games that are running are several hours old, or even days.

Easiest is to line up an opponent ahead of time (through email or whatever) and just go there at the agreed time and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
jim90808 wrote:
Whenever I logon I see a couple people in the room, but there's no chat or no one seemingly actively looking for a game. Also, it seems the games that are running are several hours old, or even days.

Easiest is to line up an opponent ahead of time (through email or whatever) and just go there at the agreed time and play.
Or leave a browser window open to the page and start an asynchronous game -- just check in from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
turbothy wrote:
jim90808 wrote:

Or leave a browser window open to the page and start an asynchronous game -- just check in from time to time.
Just don't leave it open on your phone, or it will be dead by noon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
imarx wrote:
Chantry the phone killer! The plan's working. MWAHAHAHAHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
Had my first chantry game last night. I waited in the chat room asking for an opponent, but then just started a new game and waited. It only took about 2 minutes for someone to join. We had an excellent game. I really like the interface, much easier than Vassal. I'm still figuring out the ins and outs, but I find much of it intuitive, elegant, and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
imarx wrote:
Chantry the phone killer! The plan's working. MWAHAHAHAHA!
So when's the next game happening, arry??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
snoozefest wrote:
Technically it's happening right now, cause I'm writing a Blood Bowl client. But I view it as a diversion, since I have no plans of including it on the main Chantry site.

That said, here's my tentative plan:
* finish BB client
* fix remaining gameplay bugs in TS
* add PayPal donations for Chantry
* fix minor but annoying stuff like rainbow dino when you send message
* move the site to a proper hosting to fix major annoying crashes

Optimistically, the development of new game might start on October, and the beta would be on New Year. Multiply the times by three to get more realistic numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
Personally, I see chantry as a place of great potential, but not quite there yet. Since, unlike WGR and Vassal, it is a proper WWW server, it would be a shame not to take an advantage of it. Something like a rating system, score statistics, replay option and similar features would really put it ahead of the competition.
Chantry is quite good already (apart from the server crashes), but could be really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
Technically it's happening right now, cause I'm writing a Blood Bowl client. But I view it as a diversion, since I have no plans of including it on the main Chantry site.

That said, here's my tentative plan:
* finish BB client
* fix remaining gameplay bugs in TS
* add PayPal donations for Chantry
* fix minor but annoying stuff like rainbow dino when you send message
* move the site to a proper hosting to fix major annoying crashes

Optimistically, the development of new game might start on October, and the beta would be on New Year. Multiply the times by three to get more realistic numbers.
Blood Bowl, eh? I haven't played that one ... maybe this will be my chance. If you're taking requests, though, I was hoping for something like Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, Hammer of the Scots, Combat Commander: Europe, or even Paths of Glory (maybe not)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Chantry. If Combat Commander ever makes it on there, my free time is going to dwindle like crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |