Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario Kart - Gold Medal Medici
(Reserved for image)

Version 1.1 Contest Ready Files (11/1/15)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwslkaCO2PwUalc1OGQtTDBCMEU...

Version 1.0 (low-ink) files (8/30/15)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwslkaCO2PwUdnNINXlPN3RXck0...

"It's time for the big race! You need to decide which of the course's four attributes you need to focus on and how much effort each requires. Each lap you bid for section points, being careful to not spend too much, and find the leader at the end of each lap. After 3 laps, whoever has the highest score wins!"

My son (9), daughter (6) and I are working on an entry for the 2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest. By an unanimous vote of the children, the kids get to select the theme and do play testing, while dad figures out the mechanics and writes the rules. Almost immediately after being used as an example, the theme of Mario Kart was selected. However, dad didn't want to do a straight forward racing game, and instead suggested an "express" version of another game, Medici. The subtitle "Gold Medal Medici" is to pay homage to this game's inspiration.

Medici is not a race game, but players do compete for a high score, which I think will work well enough. I think the auction rules are easy enough for a child to understand, and let parents adjust their strategy as needed, even adjusting up to 'cutthroat' to play with other adults. I want to make the game more of an express version, using dice, reducing categories, and trying to simplify the rules to keep games around 30 minutes. We've already tested this briefly, but we're still keeping it in the Brainstorming phase, until we've tested it a few more times, and the paste holding the theme has had time to dry.

The current thought is the games currency is speed. Each round, players bid their speed on small lots (1-3) of dice, which add points in 4 categories of the track (straightaways, curves, jumps, and obstacles). After each player has 5 dice, players total the sum of all dice as well as the sum in each category, and new speed points are awarded to the leaders. After 3 laps, the highest score wins. Players will have to try to stay close to each other in each category, as well as total score, otherwise bonus points will let the leaders win easily.

I realize that the dice change the bidding logic from Medici, but I think it makes it easier for kids. Instead of having to guess about the missing tiles and odds in each category, dice mean they will focus more on the total scores, and potentially on the colors that remain. 5 dice should keep totals pretty close to each other, so much of the competition is for each of the 4 track categories, creating more of a push your luck logic, which I feel kids understand better.

Construction will be pretty easy, probably a one page scoreboard without cutting. Besides the rules, players will also need 12-30 dice (dependent upon number of players) in 5 colors, a dice bag and 5 markers per player.

Right now, we want to test our first version a little more. The first game suggested we need to add a little distance before bonus scores are added, and so far we've only done a test with two players. However, my son understood the rules very quickly, and we both had fun in a very close race. Using a classic game made it pretty easy to outline the first set of rules, so adjusting them to the 'express' level shouldn't take too long. We should be able to have a prototype available by the end of August.

For help right now, we were wondering about is your own experience with auction games and kids. My son and I will try it with my daughter (6) shortly, but if you have played auction games with kids, how old were they when they learned to play? Did you have issues with kids outbidding each other?

Thanks for looking and for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-"Mario Kart - Gold Medal Medici"- 2015 PnP Children's Games Contest (Brainstorming)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwslkaCO2PwUdnNINXlPN3RXck0... 1.0

I'm having some trouble with Googledocs, and am just posting the link here for now. Please let me know if you can download from this link and I will update the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-"Mario Kart - Gold Medal Medici"- 2015 PnP Children's Games Contest (Brainstorming)
fur94 wrote:

I'm having some trouble with Googledocs, and am just posting the link here for now. Please let me know if you can download from this link and I will update the first post.

Link works for me just fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
fur94 wrote:

Link works for me just fine

Thank you for checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-"Mario Kart - Gold Medal Medici"- 2015 PnP Children's Games Contest (Public Playtesting)
Version 1.0 files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwslkaCO2PwUdnNINXlPN3RXck0...

We've had a lot of fun and are pretty happy with the rules so far. Both of my children can understand and have fun, but my 5 year old needs a little help on the math (subtraction). She understands the bidding well and usually adds up the value of her dice on her own to make her own bids.

I have played it two-player with adults using the first variant listed and also had a lot of fun. The game is fast (20-30 minutes), and more push your luck than Medici, but still can press your nerves with the auctions.

My main concern is with adult players and the prizes. I adjusted the values a little from Medici, and it works with 2 kids and 1 adult, but I haven't done 4-5 players with kids or 3 or more with just adults yet. Hopefully I can either confirm or find the best prize values in the next month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-"Mario Kart - Gold Medal Medici"- 2015 PnP Children's Games Contest (Public Playtesting)
Contest ready files are now available on Googledocs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwslkaCO2PwUalc1OGQtTDBCMEU...

There are no rule changes from 1.0, but a few grammatical errors were corrected, and color graphics were added to the score card. The card is now a little larger, and prints on 2 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I haven't played Medici, so I can't comment on differences or similarities, but I certainly like this a lot. It doesn't look much, and the theme at first seems like a thin veneer, but the theme helped to interest my kids and made enough sense to make the rules explanation easier. My feeling is that we would enjoy it even more after improving our knowledge of how to bid, because we were probably all concentrating a little too much on the values of the dice without paying quite so much attention to the colours. There's certainly plenty to think about. I'm also guessing it would be better still with more players, but we're unlikely to get more than the three we played with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j409603 wrote:
First of all, I haven't played Medici, so I can't comment on differences or similarities, but I certainly like this a lot. It doesn't look much, and the theme at first seems like a thin veneer, but the theme helped to interest my kids and made enough sense to make the rules explanation easier. My feeling is that we would enjoy it even more after improving our knowledge of how to bid, because we were probably all concentrating a little too much on the values of the dice without paying quite so much attention to the colours. There's certainly plenty to think about. I'm also guessing it would be better still with more players, but we're unlikely to get more than the three we played with.

Thank you for trying it, and for the compliments. My kids tend to add up the dice and use that to judge the value. If the bid is below the total, they will bid because it seems to be a pretty good value. They may or may not bid if it's higher.

My 9 year old knows to concentrate on 2 or 3 colors, my 6 year old will do if I say something (Oh, red! You won that last time). They will usually go another 1-5 points higher if it's a color they want. Neither will bid just to push the value higher, or to keep the dice away from another, so I try toplay the same way.

Again, thank you for trying it and I'm glad you liked it. Have fun with your other games and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls