Subject: The Centurions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Happily "The Centurions" by Jean Larteguy is back in print. A "must read" for those interested in "Colonial Twilight".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, by Penguin.

The harder-to-obtain "The Praetorians" was briefly back in print from an outfit called Hailer Publishing.
I got my copy ten years ago, but they seem to have gone out of business.

Like most of the COIN games published so far, this one will have a bibliography of sources, including a list of books and films for further atmosphere.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Does one book precede the other?

I get the impression that The Centurions is the first and The Praetorians is the second, but I am not sure.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there are three in the series:

The Mercenaries, which I haven't read;
The Centurions;
The Praetorians which is explicitly a sequel to The Centurions.

A fourth novel The Bronze Drums, has some of the same background but I have never seen it.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Jean_Lartéguy

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a fantastic French movie I saw on Netflix last week called "intimate enemies" about a French unit during the war in Algeria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Intimate Enemies is a pretty good one.
Here's the filmography from the playbook for Colonial Twilight; any other titles come to mind?

Films

Hors La Loi (Outside The Law). Dir. Rachid Bouchareb. Perfs. Jamel Debbouze, Roschdy Zem, Sami Bouajila. 2010.

La Battaglia di Algieri (The Battle of Algiers). Dir. Gillo Pontecorvo. Perfs. Brahim Hadjadj, Jean Martin, Yaacef Saadi. 1966.

L’Ennemi Intime (Intimate Enemies). Dir. Florent-Emilio Siri. Perfs. Benoît Magimel, Albert Dupontel, Aurélien Recoing. 2007.

Loin des Hommes (Far From Men). Dir. David Oelhoffen. Perfs. Viggo Mortenson, Reda Kateb. 2014.

L’Opium et la Baton (The Opium and the Stick). Dir. Ahmed Rachedi. Perfs. Marie-José Nat, Sid Ali Kouiret, Jean-Louis Trintignant. 1971.

Lost Command. Dir. Mark Robson. Perfs. Anthony Quinn, Alain Delon, George Segal. 1966.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ltmurnau wrote:
Actually there are three in the series:

The Mercenaries, which I haven't read;
The Centurions;
The Praetorians which is explicitly a sequel to The Centurions.

A fourth novel The Bronze Drums, has some of the same background but I have never seen it.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Jean_Lartéguy

Brian

Thanks Brian.

Always interesting to read stuff from the time (or nearly so). And films. That whole "art as a reflection of the society that produced it" can be quite fascinating and revealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole weird veneration of "les paras" in French culture at the time seems to have lasted, when the rest of the Algerian War and everything bound up in it was kept back in the closet for at least 30 years afterwards.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
"The Pratorians" is available in paperback from Amazon, but at a healthy
$45 and I doubt it will be reprinted in the near future.
Probably the best work is Alistair Horne's "A Savage War of Peace", truly a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lemameluk wrote:

Probably the best work is Alistair Horne's "A Savage War of Peace", truly a classic.

I quite liked this book too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lemameluk wrote:
"The Pratorians" is available in paperback from Amazon, but at a healthy
$45 and I doubt it will be reprinted in the near future.

The Praetorians is scheduled for reprint in June 2016.

Available for pre-order on Amazon for $17 (paperback).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143110233?psc=1&redirect=t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just on Amazon to pick up a couple of books on Dien Bien Phu and saw that new reprints for both "The Praetorians" and "The Centurions" are available. I ordered both along with the Indochina books and a new one on von Lettow-Borbeck. Couldn't find anything on "The Mercenaries" on Amazon nor on AbeBooks.

I'm getting ready for Colonial Twilight! Meanwhile I'll be indulging in a mind journey to Dien Bien Phu with the books and Kim Kanger's game from Legion Wargames, and then onward to a sojourn to East Africa with Legion's Tanga-1914 that is also on its way to me today.

Also pondering if there might be a two-player COIN game on the French-Indochina War, similar to Colonial Twilight, coming along in the future. I'd buy it in an instant if there were!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jhope wrote:
Also pondering if there might be a two-player COIN game on the French-Indochina War, similar to Colonial Twilight, coming along in the future. I'd buy it in an instant if there were!

Something I'd like to do in future, but I'm a little too busy on other things right now.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian,

I know you have plenty of projects to keep you more than busy! I'm keenly anticipating Colonial Twilight, and then your game on WWII in China, and if French-Indochina War comes along after that, I'll be spring loaded to buy it!

Thanks for all the great games!

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer