Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, fellow Geeks! I had a great time in the spotlight last week meeting many new folks as well as seeing so many good friends. But that was then, and this is now. It’s time to meet the next Geek of the Week. And it is with great, great pleasure that I introduce to you….

Not the only Euro Guy
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb

Gary is well deserving of this honor. He is active in the BGG community. He loves gaming. A family man first and foremost. He’s a gentleman and scholar. And he’s British! So, automatically his coolness factor towers above my own lowly standing. cool

Please send your well wishes to Gary. Ask questions. Leave comments. The guy’s a diamond.

Truly. thumbsup thumbsup

garyrbrooks wrote:
Hello BGG.

As is customary I have two pieces of housekeeping to attend to.

Firstly, a tremendous thank you to Mo for picking me as the next Geek of the Week. He is a diamond bloke and one of the best ‘friends’ I have met during my time on the Geek.

Secondly, I have to say that I am not worthy of this honour as I personally know many more deserving candidates than me. However, I will do my best to uphold the traditions of this title and generally not mess stuff up.

Just like Mo I would be surprised if you know me. Not because I’m a ‘quiet’ person (I’m often told to shut up by my wife and friends, or at least keep it down a bit) but because I only frequent a small corner of this place. I’m pretty active there and have become part of that ‘community’ (that sounds a bit ominous) but only dip my toe in the other areas of BGG.

I got back in to board gaming about 2 years ago. It had been a pretty tough year for me and my family but things were on the up and I had decided to spend my free time more wisely, doing things that I enjoyed but that also worked my brain a little.

I remembered the enjoyment this hobby had given me back in my teens so went to look for a game I could play solo as my wife and friends weren’t interested (and that remains the case), my kids are too young to like the sort of games I would be after (although I have found a few others they like now), video games have never quite hit the spot with me and I wasn’t interested in meeting new people through gaming (ironically I’ve met quite a few here on BGG). I just wanted a thematic workout for my brain.

That journey led me to BGG.com (for game ideas, variants, player aids, etc) and that in turn led me to the solo gaming community. I was a lurker at first but once I realised how great a bunch of people they were (the only rule is “don’t be a jerk”) I decided to post something in the SGOYT monthly geeklist and join the 1 Player Guild.

Now I’m there almost every day. These guys and gals are my gaming group. My family and friends just aren’t interested in hearing about my adventures, they can’t help me choose games, they can’t point me towards helpful files, etc. This ‘community’ (I’m using that word again) has taken my gaming hobby to a different level. They all deserve to be geek of the week.

I try to give something back – I’ve run awards, hosted geeklists, made player aids, a solo variant, given advice (mostly useless.... probably) and generally tried to not be a ‘jerk’.

So thank you again Mo (he truly is one of the nicest guys I’ve met through BGG) and as my wife would say about now – “Shut Up Gary!”.

If you have any questions for me, ask away.

Here are Gary’s two truths and one lie:

Poll
Gary's two truths and one lie. Which one is the LIE?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I once shared a hotel lift with Salma Hayek and the combination of star power and beauty led me to get out at the wrong floor.
25.4% 33
At the turn of the Millennium I celebrated New Years Eve twice due to crossing the International Date Line.
28.5% 37
I once had to go and get my ball back from the garden of one of the real houses used for outdoor shots in the soap opera Neighbours.
46.2% 60
Voters 130
This poll is now closed.   130 answers
Poll created by mo7189
Closes: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 am

And as is customary, here are some questions to get you started, Gary. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of gamer questions this week, so as an American, I want to ask you some Brit-related questions.

What is your favorite British word, slang, or phrase?

If I could only visit one city/town/locale in the UK, where should I go and why?

You may only choose one within each of the following pairs. Which one will you choose?
• The Stones or the Beatles?
• Football or the Cricket?
• Danny Boyle or Guy Ritchie?
• Doctor Who or Sherlock?
• Ale or Tea?
• Fish & Chips or Shepard’s Pie?

Enjoy your week, Gary!!!
Mo
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fangorn
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
Woohoo! Congrats Gary (that's it right?)! Another one of the most welcoming and helpful (at spending my money) 1 player guild members!

Gary I can't think of any questions right now, other than do you remember where the "who's Gary?" bit started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul cleveland
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato
badge
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. " -Unknown author ?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gary. thumbsupEnjoy the spotlight this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Gary!

What's your favorite game with cones that isn't Lord of the Rings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Gary, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gary!
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fantastic choice, Mo !
Enjoy your week Gary.

What is the largest game you played on your - small - new table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Gary! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Who? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, congratulations for this high and coveted honour, literally for the people and by the people. You clearly deserve to have your good works recognized!

My Questions:

What is your favourite competitive game to play? Cooperative?
What is your favourite game to play with your significant other (if single, closest boardgaming friend)?
Which comic book character do you most feel you have in common with and why (this can be heroes, villains, anti-heroes. I relate to two anti-heroes: Emma Frost and Magneto, for example.)?
Where do you find yourself on the Alignment Spectrum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(role-playing_games)... (can't get the wretched DnD Url to integrate into a text. This is why I hate computers) when playing games?
If money/shipping/reciprocation were no issue, which boardgame (non-war) would you like to win in one of the many boardgame giveaway contests/events?
What is the one boardgame you could never part with?
What is your favourite game to play with 6+ (please, no party games like Taboo/Qwirkle) players?

Thank you for your time and consideration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's Gary? Well, I guess after a week in the spotlight we won't be able to forget him again. Time for a new joke...

Congratulations Gary and well done Mo.

d10-1 How many games have you played that feature cones?
d10-2 Are cones under represented as a game component?
d10-3 Do you think you'll ever have the opportunity to purge Thunderbolt Apache Leader from your collection again?
d10-4 Will we see you on SGOYT this week or will you be too busy with your fan mail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not the only Euro Guy
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Mo for the nomination and everyone for their best wishes.

It's late in the UK and I'm away from home so won't be answering your questions tonight.

But tomorrow will be an answers fest I promise.

Night night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Gary! Another well deserved GOTW award. Like Mo, I really enjoy your presence in the 1P Guild and SGoYT. Loved what your write-up and totally agree with you on how wonderful the 1P folks are. I'm glad to be a part of your gaming group!

1 If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
2 What's your favorite book?
3 Favorite movie?
4 Favorite band or music genre?
5 Where did you meet your wife? How long have you been married?
6 I too would like to know where the "who's Gary" thing originated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
Thanks again Mo for the nomination and everyone for their best wishes.

It's late in the UK and I'm away from home so won't be answering your questions tonight.

But tomorrow will be an answers fest I promise.

Night night.

Yeah. Sorry about the timing. I knew it was starting to get late when I posted this. I was going to hold off until it was really late, but I had some solid computer time earlier this afternoon, so I took advantage of it.

It's all good though. You'll need your rest before doing all that typing this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Names!!!!!

Awesome roll we're on. Hopefully you guys interact enough with the rest of BGG that we don't get permabanned...

So a question for ye...

One regarding one of your lies/truths mentions the "Millennium".

Did you celebrate this correctly on 12/31/2000->01/01/2001 or like the rest of the world instead celebrate a year early with the calendar rolling to "2000", the start of the last year of the millennium?

Savage or civilized, either way you're a rocking guy and a big help and communicator. The site wouldn't be the same without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness, Gary is the kind of guy I'd plan a UK trip around. If I ever get myself across the pond, I'd genuinely want to meet him.

If it weren't creepy, I wouldn't really mean it.

Question 1: was Darkwing Duck redubbed with a British accent over there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary, congratulations to you for your achievement! I hope you have a great week in the spotlight Let's jump straight into some questions;

1db What cartoons other than Darkwing Duck do you still hold in high regard?

2 If you could own any edition of any game ever released, normally referred to as a Grail Game due to it's similarity to the quest for the Holy Grail, what game would it be and are you actually actively seeking this out?

3 You are able to have any one living celebrity visit your house, prepare them a meal for dinner and followed by one boardgame of your choosing to play together. Who are they, what is the meal and what is the game?

d10-4 What are your thoughts on Twiglets? It's been one of my favourite snacks since I was a child and have to hunt them out every so often in English food/lolly importing shops here.

5vp Last one which is more of a request than a question; would you please take the time to drop by and ask a question yourself for my current Geek of the Moment Competition. It's not quite Geek of the Week, but it involves the chance at Geekgold. Oh and there's a crazy forum dice roll competition everyone seems to be going nuts for too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gary, whoever you are!

What is it you particularly like about cones? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Gary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Gary!!! This is a wonderful and well deserved honor. It's great to see you recognized for all your great contributions to BGG. Thank you for making our hobby that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Question: what is your least favorite game mechanic and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gary!

I love the Danger Duck avatar. Was it very popular in Britain? Why did you choose this as your avatar?

As also a "card carrying member" of the 1-player guild, how do you feel about playing both sides of a war game? What is your favorite mechanic for a "converted" two player game, playing as a solo game?

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a terrific choice. Congrats, Gary!

Enjoy your week, my friend; this is richly deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
Congratulations Gary! I'm so excited for you. Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.