GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Veteran Prowess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Holland
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the top part of Fenn's 'Veteran Prowess' reward card says:

Quote:
'When you use "Havoc Shot," apply +1 DAMAGE to your attack results.'

Havoc shot adds a blast to the attack. Am I right in thinking that the Veteran Prowess ability only adds 1 damage to the target figure and not figures affected by the blast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Adding to attack results means that. Blast is a totally unrelated thing triggered during the attack and resolved after the attack has resolved. (If the attack dealt damage to the target.)

Rebel Elite is the one which makes Havoc Shot Blast 2mb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right. The Blast damage remains the same, but the attack damage is increased as if the dice had one extra damage result on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Havoc Shot can be triggered during any part of the attack. So, if the defense exactly evades/blocks the attack, you can trigger Havoc Shot (during step 4), which now adds +1mb to attack results, thus dealing damage to the target, and thus makes Blast do something.

Edit: For Veteran Prowess to add +1dmg, Havoc Shot needs to be triggered during step 4 of the attack.
Timing of attack-related abilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Binnie
msg tools
a1bert wrote:
Note that Havoc Shot can be triggered during any part of the attack. So, if the defense exactly evades/blocks the attack, you can trigger Havoc Shot, which now adds +1mb to attack results, thus dealing damage to the target, and thus makes Blast do something.

From my understanding this is incorrect. To trigger blast, you are required to first damage the target. Havoc shot states that the attack gains blast 1, but the trigger the blast keyword still requires that you damage the target. So havoc shot gives the attack blast 1, but blast will still not trigger unless the target suffers 1 or more damage after all modifiers. Basically, veteran prowess provides plus one damage when you use havoc shot, but the requirements to trigger the blast quality have not changed and therefore require a target to be damaged before blast can be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dancingplanet wrote:
From my understanding this is incorrect. To trigger blast, you are required to first damage the target. Havoc shot states that the attack gains blast 1, but the trigger the blast keyword still requires that you damage the target. So havoc shot gives the attack blast 1, but blast will still not trigger unless the target suffers 1 or more damage after all modifiers. Basically, veteran prowess provides plus one damage when you use havoc shot, but the requirements to trigger the blast quality have not changed and therefore require a target to be damaged before blast can be used.

Blast can be triggered when the target isn't suffering Damage, it just has no effect if the target didn't suffer any damage. The only restrictions on Havoc Shot being used are that you are using a Ranged weapon and you have suffered Strain at least one less than your Endurance.

You can thus activate Havoc Shot before or during the modifiers step to apply Blast 1 Damage, gain the additional 1 damage via Veteran Prowess, then when the attack resolves, the target will have suffered Damage and Blast will thus trigger.

Pasi was right in what he said, although it should be made clear that you need to use Havoc Shot before the Spend Surges step for Veteran Prowess to have any effect. This actually does have an effect, as if Fenn had suffered Strain equal to his Endurance, and used one Surge to Recover the Strain he needs to use Havoc Shot, then the attack would only gain Blast 1 Damage without the +1 Damage from Veteran Prowess, as the damage modifiers were already calculated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, quite an old thread. We've learned a lot about timing since then. To benefit from Veteran Prowess, Havoc Shot needs to be triggered during step 4 of the attack. (Any later and the +1dmg isn't added to the attack pool.)

Timing of attack-related abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeholland wrote:
The text on the top part of Fenn's 'Veteran Prowess' reward card says:

Quote:
'When you use "Havoc Shot," apply +1 DAMAGE to your attack results.'

Havoc shot adds a blast to the attack. Am I right in thinking that the Veteran Prowess ability only adds 1 damage to the target figure and not figures affected by the blast?

While I agree with the interpretation that Veteran Prowess doesn't increase Blast damage (unless, of course, in case the +1 DAMAGE makes the difference to suffer Blast damage at all), I am still wondering:

Why does Veteran Prowess mention "attack results" in the plural instead of the singular? I guess it is probably just a slip-up. It makes the wording prone to misunderstanding: I, too, at first thought the plural might be an indicator that Blast damage is increased as well. So I would guess that the OP wouldn't have felt the need to pose his question if Veteran Prowess just read:
Quote:
When you use "Havoc Shot," apply +1 DAMAGE to your attack result. [emphasis mine]

Or am I missing a possibility where you can have more than one attack result when you use Havoc Shot, meaning that the plural in "attack results" is actually needed/intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack results and defense results is the generic pool that the symbols are added to and removed from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.