Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Axis Reserve Placement and Front Advance Mechanics...please clarify. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi all. Played for the first time. Have read the rules multiple times and reviewed the forums. I thought I had this down, but some posts here are starting to make me doubt my interpretation. I hope folks can help:

Section 7.6 on Axis Reserve Placement states:
"An Axis reserve marker placed in a theater box
removes one naval marker from the box. Each Axis reserve on a
Front Track space removes one offensive support marker from a
space"

We have been doing this as a discrete action at reserve placement...so each reserve going down is removing a support marker on that front.

Then Section 7.7 on Advancing a Front states that each Front has a strength of 2 +2 for each support -2 for each reserve on that front.

So for example. If I have a front with 5 offense support and 2 reserves go onto that front, we are removing 2 support tokens per 7.6 and then calculating the front strength per 7.7 as 2 + 6 (3 support remaining) - 4 (2 reserves on front) = 4.

Do we have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You're basically subtracting the Reserves twice. Once you remove the two Offense Support markers and the two Reserves, you can ignore them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the 2 Reserves remove 2 of your Offensive Support Markers, leaving you with 3.

3 * 2 = 6 plus the 2 from the Front itself for a total of 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks gentlemen!

Having these two different ways to describe the same thing in two different sections of the rules is very misleading! They appear to be separate steps.

Very much looking forward to the next play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I assumed the reserve markers were removed along with the offensive/naval support markers, but it did give me pause and page flipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Instructions Author - I have to agree with this post.

The way this area is written in 7.6 it reads that a Reserve removes a support.

Then in 7.72 it calculates the strength indicating that (3) Each Axis reserve subtracts two from a Front strength.

I can see that this (3) is cancelling out (2) - which in essence is removing the support.

However I feel that in 7.6 should be reworded to indicate that the reserve is not actually removed, but cancelled out during strength calculations.

I think it would be easier not to worry about removing and simply allowing the calculations to occur. with a +2 - 2 = 0

Difficult to explain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So - to sum this up...

(ignoring movement into an Amphibious space)

1) Remove 1 Offensive Support for each (single count) Reserve in place, basically they cancel each other out.

2) Front Marker (2) + (2 x Offensive Support remaining) - (2 x Reserves Remaining)

3) Roll equal or under the amount in above 2) for the Front to move forward.

Notes:
If the modified strength is 0 or less, then fails - regardless of roll.

7.73 contains further exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they cancel each other out, you will only have either reserves OR offensive markers present.

If there are any reserves remaining, you automatically lose and don't need to roll (because in this case, there are no offensive markers left and one reserve marker against your front means you need to roll 0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more clarification: at the end of a turn, all reserve cubes are removed from the board to start anew with a new conference, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct! Removed from the board or returned to Germany/Japan, whichever pleases you more aesthetically. But the point is that no reserves persist in their locations, conference-to-conference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.