Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone figured out what the alphanumeric codes on the item cards are for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all really. Anyone have any ideas what these mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They match up with the code on the tokens, I assume so you can find them easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
They match up with the code on the tokens, I assume so you can find them easier.

I haven't seen any code on the tokens. Also, cards that don't grant tokens still have a code (though I think only the cards that have matching tokens have the number part of the code).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe its like card numbers in a set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
maybe its like card numbers in a set?

Do you mean just identifiers for the card itself? I would doubt that also, as they would more likely use just numbers rather than a letter-number combination (and certainly not just letters on their own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
The special tokens have matching codes. You can see one in the picture here

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/runebou...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
GilgaTex wrote:

I haven't seen any code on the tokens. Also, cards that don't grant tokens still have a code (though I think only the cards that have matching tokens have the number part of the code).

Per Kevin's comment above mine:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a guess but the letters might correspond to a city. Since some of the cards in the preview have a letter with no number. For example Ring of Strength has the letter B but no number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Just a guess but the letters might correspond to a city. Since some of the cards in the preview have a letter with no number. For example Ring of Strength has the letter B but no number.

No, it is what the first responder said, as evidence by the image I posted just above your message. The reason the OP hadn't seen the codes on tokens is FFG hasn't really shown off too many item tokens in the videos or press just yet (the one above is the only token of its type I've seen). The default player and monster tokens naturally wouldn't use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
GilgaTex wrote:

Per Kevin's comment above mine:

I thought that small circle was showing what is on the reverse side? in this case 2 surge.

EDIT ohhhh wait I see there is a really small A05 to the left. that very well might be to match it to the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower Video says that the tokens have a small notation marking what is on the other side of the token, not sure if this is the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsewhere it was mentioned that some quests are specific to one of the 2 grand narratives. Although we are looking at items, it is possible there are themes or some such thing. A letter could indicate a certain set, theme etc. They may be doing a spinoff of the Agricola decks... Pure speculation. And maybe a littlle too organized for FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
The Dice Tower Video says that the tokens have a small notation marking what is on the other side of the token, not sure if this is the same thing.

Which video is that, please?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Which video is that, please?

Thanks

BTW, you can see on the picture in this thread what the notation is like - the pictured token has a double surge on the reverse, indicated by the small symbol in the circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, cool. But yes, it's tiny!

Still doesn't fully explain the unnumbered items that don't have tokens, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Still doesn't fully explain the unnumbered items that don't have tokens, though.

I'm not entirely sure I know what you're referencing here. You mean tokens without codes, or item cards with token symbols but no code? If you meant the latter, wouldn't unnumbered items cards without tokens naturally not need a code to help reference an appropriate token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

Yeah, and if Kevin Outlaw's reference to the picture I posted wasn't entirely helpful, here are a few more:

The smaller symbols on each token represent the icon found on the reverse side. Very smart design choice, and not one as easily done with dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 videos that discuss or show Runebound 3rd edition by the Dice Tower:

starts about the 12 minute mark & ends about the 16 minute mark:

GenCon 2015 Review - Games Played

starts about the 8 minute mark and ends about 10 min and 30 second mark:

Jason goes to GenCon 2015

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I know what you're referencing here. You mean tokens without codes, or item cards with token symbols but no code? If you meant the latter, wouldn't unnumbered items cards without tokens naturally not need a code to help reference an appropriate token?

You can see what I'm talking about here:

The second and third card both have a letter identifier, but obviously have no associated token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems only those with a numeric designation relate to tokens, but what defines an "A" batch from a "C" batch, we can only speculate right now. My first thought was each letter designated a specific type, so all weapons would be in the "A" batch, but this doesn't hold from what I see.

Humm..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
So it seems only those with a numeric designation relate to tokens, but what defines an "A" batch from a "C" batch, we can only speculate right now. My first thought was each letter designated a specific type, so all weapons would be in the "A" batch, but this doesn't hold from what I see.

Humm..

maybe they are a rarity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the A is for Act 1 and the B is for Act 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Possibly, though I would expect the notation to be more direct in that regard (like using "I" and "II" instead of "A" and "B").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may simply denote type of item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Good suggestion, but I'm skeptical. Every item show so far has these alpha-numeric designations, and it seems unreasonably fiddly to demand the item deck tickle into life over the course of play (each of these phase changes would necessitate a pause to dig these items out -- that just doesn't fit FFG's design MO in my opinion).

Rarity, as Marc referenced above you, is also something possible, but not likely in my book. FFG tends to put unique (i.e. rare) items into specific decks. The rarity factor is controlled by the infrequency other elements call upon the deck (ala encounter cards in Eldritch, for example). Since items seem to be piled into cities, per 2e, I suspect this isn't the case (though the possibility exists a unique items deck is in the design, and will be reveled later).

Montag451 wrote:
It may simply denote type of item.

I though that too, but it doesn't hold. I've seen weapons, items and apparel that have the same alphabetical designation.

* edit: Compare some of the designations in this image with what Chris posted above.

The blue card behind Heroic Blade, for example, is a "C" card and is a Cloak of some sort. In Chris' image, a weapon (the bow) is designated as a "C" card as well.

The Blade, itself, is a "B" card, where "B" is an apparel item in Chris' image (and this one as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.