15 Posts

Keyflower» Forums » General

Subject: Is this the same Keyflower? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that there was a kickstarter going for this. My question is, is this the reprint of the original?

It days 2012 but was there another that was even older than that? I thought this game has been out for a while. Has supplies run low and this is the way they're going to make more? Sorry if this seems ignorant, I'm really sick and I started board gaming seriously this year.

EDIT: also how much would you suggest the expansions? Is it 99 for the game and two expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a straight reprint of Keyflower. If you look around at online stores, you'll find that it's sold out basically everywhere in the U.S.

Keyflower was originally published in 2012. If you're thinking of something older, it might be a previous entry in the Key-series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a pretty good deal for the kickstarter. You won't have trouble unloading it if you don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be higher rated on the geek if people had actually been able to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
davetheswabian wrote:
Would be higher rated on the geek if people had actually been able to play it
It's in the top 25 with a rating of 7.98, so........ no, not really.

It hasn't been so unavailable that people haven't been able to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the expansions are worth it, but if you haven't had a chance to play the base game and determine if the game works for you, it's hard to say whether you should purchase it. I do think you would be able to recoup most or all of what you paid for the expansions later if you don't like them, but I could be wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the expansions make the game take longer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
Do the expansions make the game take longer?

no, not in any significant way. i would say that Farmers adds fields which means that players may take slightly longer to arrange their new village tiles at the end of each season. i can't see that amounting to more than maybe an extra minute per season.

contracts which are introduced in Merchants give players more options to get resources which I guess might lengthen the game but we're talking maybe a few minutes in total across the whole game.

the main factor determining game length with Keyflower is the number of players. that said even with 6 experienced players, the game plays in under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:

contracts which are introduced in Merchants give players more options to get resources which I guess might lengthen the game but we're talking maybe a few minutes in total across the whole game.

I find the ability to trade in contracts for a particular resource might speed up the game. I found myself, in a couple of games, to be in need of resource X and instead of looking around to all the combinations of tiles in play and trying to dream up a series of convoluted machinations I might employ to get that one bit... I just looked over and found the desired resource visible in triplet of contracts and used an action that allowed me to draw it into my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering dropping the 100 dollars to get the game and the expansions...

Letters from whitechapel is probably the longest game I own. Keyflower will probably be the most complex game I ouwn should I pull the trigger? I mean only I would know best... I do want to get into meatier games. Dixit, bang, are the games we play most. Just picked up spector ops and arctic scavengers. I know keyflower is nothing like these games (which is fine I want variety). I just feel overwhelmed a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:

Letters from whitechapel is probably the longest game I own. Keyflower will probably be the most complex game I ouwn should I pull the trigger? I mean only I would know best... I do want to get into meatier games. Dixit, bang, are the games we play most. Just picked up spector ops and arctic scavengers. I know keyflower is nothing like these games (which is fine I want variety). I just feel overwhelmed a little.

I love keyflower so it's weird of me to say this but if you've not played a worker placement game before I'm not certain keyflower is one to start with. Keyflower uses a lot of mechanics but its core mechanic I would say is worker placement. That could be my own bias though because I had played others when I bought this. It's a great game but it's going to be a lot to introduce to all new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mangekyo wrote:

I kind of agree with Colin.

Keyflower is fantastic and I don't think you would regret buying the game... but I'm worried it will be hard to move your group from Bang! and Dixit into Keyflower. This game is fairly dry and certainly not an entry level Euro experience. Unless one or two others from your group have already expressed real interest in trying more "serious" games, you might do better starting with something easier?

(But if you do have at least one other person interested then I recommend trying the game if there is any opportunity. It's really cool.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
40% of our group is familiar with settlers of catan, I enjoy it and a couple others really like settlers too. Is that an okay entry into a game like keyflower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, it's too late

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
40% of our group is familiar with settlers of catan, I enjoy it and a couple others really like settlers too. Is that an okay entry into a game like keyflower?

here's my semi-expensive middle ground for you. go ahead and grab keyflower. it's a great game and if you decide you don't like it, you'll have little trouble moving it on the secondary market.

in addition i would suggest that the next game you play with your game group to introduce them to worker placement in general would be lords of waterdeep. it's a fun & engaging game and it would do a nice job of introducing worker placement. if they enjoy that then Keyflower feels like an appropriate next level game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls