Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
A MC check is 2d6 equal to or less than morale value on the counter = pass
Yes?
The tables in chart for MC check DRMS, seem to be reversed for some MC checks, or I dont understand the rules (wont be the 1st time)

wouldn't the dRMS for failing a mc or being attacked in rear be a + drm not minus and -2 if a square was atk by Cav?

Melee value question:

Melee value, - Each unit has a value of say 2. The value modifier attacking a fortified village - papolette is -2, therefore the value is adjusted to 0. 0X4 = 0. therefore they cannot melee the units in the village. Is that correct?

Best Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

I have only just got this and am working my way through the rules.

The morale check is how you say, roll x2 dice add the result if lower than the units morale value then it passes.

I am also confused as to the modifiers, they seem to be reversed as 1 cavalry unit attacking a square is not at an advantage so how can you add +2 to the squares morale check which could make the square fail it's test?? Horses would not charge into the wall of bayonets from an intact square. there are many documentaries talking about this (Shaun Beans Waterloo is one) and the allied squares held against the French cavalry at Waterloo.

Regarding the melee point. I think you are right with the calculations with a 1 on 1 unit attacking a defended position. But most military doctrines would be to attack with 3 to 1 odds and use a combination of arms as well.
I have yet to play this but having been a Royal Marine this is what we would have done.

Thank you for your video, it is a great help. If you have the time to make more they would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question regarding the hexes on the map and how they affect movement. The hexes run from top to bottom of the map with the vertices in this direction. When units are deployed in an extended line along a feature and you want to move them straight ahead (in the direction of the vertices) do they move straight ( along the join of the two hexes ) or do all the units snake forward zig zagging to the centre of each hex? I hope this makes sense? Thanks,

All the best,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Chris - The impact of the Melee topic is that you work out the Melee 'value' i.e the # on the counter - these guys are a 2, and you subtract -2 from each unit according to wording in the rules based on the example above.

Then you multiple the net value (melee value - drm) X # of steps to get a Melee strength....so if you subtract -2 from each of the 3 units MV of 2 you get 0

therefore no melee? Nearly all the Melee units are 2 rated. So I suspect that I am doing this wrong.
I'll check the extended line thing for ya, its early I'm pre espresso.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Rouy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kevin, Chris,

The morale modifiers table lists the modifiers to the morale value, not to the dice.

For example "-2 for flank" means the morale of the attacked unit decreases by 2, not the dice roll.

And regarding melee, what you miss is that a column attacked has its melevve value increased by 1. Therefore a column attacking a village will be 2 +1 -2 = 1 multiplied by the number of steps.

If the unit attacking is in line, you are correct, 2-2 is no melee value. But that said, why would anyone attack a village in line :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Didier,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I'd only just seen the modifier for a unit being in column.

Would you have any game reports that you could post so that we can follow, to help with learning this great game?

Thanks again to you and Kevin,

Kind regards,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Rouy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Chris,

You can start here :

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd59118/468

Where I present the coming games, there are some example of play. I am sure there are other places on Consim with reports on the battles.

Here on BGG, I am not sure, there may be some reports under Leipzig and the Retour de l'Empereur sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Didier Rouy wrote:
Kevin, Chris,

The morale modifiers table lists the modifiers to the morale value, not to the dice.

For example "-2 for flank" means the morale of the attacked unit decreases by 2, not the dice roll.

And regarding melee, what you miss is that a column attacked has its melevve value increased by 1. Therefore a column attacking a village will be 2 +1 -2 = 1 multiplied by the number of steps.

If the unit attacking is in line, you are correct, 2-2 is no melee value. But that said, why would anyone attack a village in line :-)

Ahh that makes sense!
My guys were attacking in column. So the mod goes to the MV as well ok. That clear up what I knew was something I was doing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.