GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,240 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: Celesticon (SF Bay) discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to attend Celesticon this year (for the first time). Leading up to the event, I would like to try to arrange to meet new people to play games. My tastes are a bit unusual, so knowing in advance that I'll have a chance to play games I love would be a big plus.

Other conventions (including the other 2 big SF Bay area cons) have Guilds here on BGG[1]. Would it make sense to have a Celesticon guild?

Are there other ideas for how attendees-to-be to coordinate before the event?

[1] https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/category/event/United%20Stat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Celesticon attendees specifically, but there are a lot of board games groups in the Bay Area. You can find some of the groups on meetup.com. Many Bay Area board game enthusiasts enjoys cons. You may meet people who are also attending Celesticon or at least find others who like to play the same games as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I don't know about Celesticon attendees specifically, but there are a lot of board games groups in the Bay Area. You can find some of the groups on meetup.com.

Thanks for your input.

I haven't had the greatest luck with meetups so far. There don't seem to be any bart-friendly weekend daytime gaming meetups, which would be ideal for me. I need to give a couple of the evening meetups more chances, but they haven't clicked for me so far. If anyone with gaming tastes similar to mine is interested in some weekend gaming, please geekmail me.

For Celesticon, I'm thinking if I'm spending $500 (hotel+admission), I'd really like to get some quality gaming into those 3 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen S
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Kevin!

Locally Grown Game Sundays happens once a month Noon-6pm at Games of Berkeley. We invite local game designers to come show off their games, but any leftover tables are available for people to play at.

The event happens right outside of Downtown Berkeley BART station.

Next event is August 16.

You can get updates here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1642751702607293/

Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,
I just moved to the bay area and was hoping to make it celesticon to hopefully meet some other local gamers. Not sure what games you want to play but feel free to PM me and maybe we could meet up either before or at the con.
Cheers,
Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustdown wrote:
Locally Grown Game Sundays happens once a month Noon-6pm at Games of Berkeley.

I'm not sold on gaming outdoors, but I'll definitely try to make it to one of these. EDIT: And as a non-facebooker, it will be hard for me to know/remember when these are, unless it's also either on Facebook or here on BGG. I think I have seen some BGG posts about this in the past, in which case, "please keep doing those".

shartma wrote:
maybe we could meet up either before or at the con.

Geekmail sent.

And I'm still curious about the idea of a Celesticon Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also thinking of attending Celesticon for the first time. There is a list of scheduled games on their site. I wish it was being held closer to a BART station (I'm in Oakland) but it sounds fun.

The locally grown game Sundays also seems cool. I am kind of a proto-designer (I have several unfinished designs written out on index cards etc) but nothing that's had the kinks worked out. Maybe I will show up next week and check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blakflag wrote:
I'm also thinking of attending Celesticon for the first time. There is a list of scheduled games on their site. I wish it was being held closer to a BART station (I'm in Oakland) but it sounds fun.

The hotel runs a free shuttle to the bart station, but I don't know if it is only for hotel guests, or if they would also pick up conference attendees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
blakflag wrote:

The hotel runs a free shuttle to the bart station, but I don't know if it is only for hotel guests, or if they would also pick up conference attendees.

The BART station is a mile or two away. The hotel will pick up conference attendees, but you should call them when you are at the station. See the hotel information page here:
http://www.celesticon.com/hotel.php

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celesticon is a great event for both boardgaming and roleplaying. There are a number of good conventions in the Bay Area (DunDraCon in February, KublaCon in May, Celesticon, and Big Bad Con (mainly RPGs) in October) and a lot of good gaming groups. I have a group that has been playing every Tuesday night at Blue Danube Cafe in Alameda for over 10 years. Feel free to come by some Tuesday, ask for me, and you will be part of a great group.

Do get out & support our great local cons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:
peakhope wrote:
blakflag wrote:

The BART station is a mile or two away. The hotel will pick up conference attendees, but you should call them when you are at the station. See the hotel information page here:
http://www.celesticon.com/hotel.php

Cheers,
Kris

BART won't be running between SF & Oakland over Labor Day weekend. gulp

http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2015/news20150803-0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it's just the SF-East Bay link that is shut down. And there will be bus service to replace it (probably with some delays).

The entire East Bay BART is still running.

In a few minutes, CelestiCon is turning on pre-convention game sign ups. It's only for a limited number of seats in a game. So you can still get into any game at the convention.

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed this geeklist, which seems to have been updated recently: CelestiCon Board Game Library. That's helpful to know games I wouldn't need to bring (at least assuming the entire library will be there).

And this morning I created this geeklist: Celesticon 2015: Games I/you want to play. I have added a few games already, and will be adding more. Please add some yourself! Hopefully the list will allow us to find common interests, and connect off-list to actually arrange to play some of these games. Consider it halfway between the official organized game signups and completely spontaneous gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin,

We keep the geek list and collection of user "celesticon" current. Those lists are what games are in the Game Library. And user celesticon's plays show how many times a game has been checked out.

About a week before the convention, it will get another update for 2015.

I look forward to seeing you at CelestiCon!
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

I haven't had the greatest luck with meetups so far. There don't seem to be any bart-friendly weekend daytime gaming meetups, which would be ideal for me. I need to give a couple of the evening meetups more chances, but they haven't clicked for me so far.

You've done the SF Games event right next to the 24th St BART on Fridays at 7 pm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I just noticed this geeklist, which seems to have been updated recently: CelestiCon Board Game Library. That's helpful to know games I wouldn't need to bring (at least assuming the entire library will be there).

Think it's the same Board Game library as KublaCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
You've done the SF Games event right next to the 24th St BART on Fridays at 7 pm?

I tried it once, and might try it again. It is BART-accessible, as are 2 weeknight events in Berkeley and one at Endgame in Oakland (which is frustratingly not on meetup). Unfortunately, they are all weeknights. I really prefer weekend daytime gaming, for a variety of reasons, including not feeling so rushed. Sadly, there don't seem to be any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

I tried it once, and might try it again. It is BART-accessible, as are 2 weeknight events in Berkeley and one at Endgame in Oakland (which is frustratingly not on meetup). Unfortunately, they are all weeknights. I really prefer weekend daytime gaming, for a variety of reasons, including not feeling so rushed. Sadly, there don't seem to be any of those.

SF Games also meets on Sundays from 2pm to whenever. Of course it's way it in the outer Richmond not really convenient to public transportation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I really prefer weekend daytime gaming, for a variety of reasons, including not feeling so rushed. Sadly, there don't seem to be any of those.

The Friday night meetup goes until 1-2 am, at least since they moved to San Jose Tacqueria. So you can play until just before the last BART train.

Also, I think there are at least two South Bay groups (on yahoo) that meet at the weekends. Look for SF Games Day. Not good for public transport from where you are, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
The Friday night meetup goes until 1-2 am, at least since they moved to San Jose Tacqueria. So you can play until just before the last BART train.

Yeah, about 9 or 10pm is my weeknight limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Is there any difference between Sunday and Monday in terms of which day is better for open gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
peakhope wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

Yeah, about 9 or 10pm is my weeknight limit.

Weeknights are tough for me, too (I frequent the EGL on Mondays). I'll have to try the Friday night some day. If someone starts a Sat night group, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just want to give kudos to the Celesticon organizers. I had a blast this year. Very impressed with the availability of RPG sessions. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Think it's the same Board Game library as KublaCon.

CelestiCon and KublaCon have completely separate game libraries.

You can see the CelestiCon Game Library collection here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/celesticon?own=1&su...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Just want to give kudos to the Celesticon organizers. I had a blast this year. Very impressed with the availability of RPG sessions. Well done!

Thanks, Tom!

I'm glad you had fun, and I hope you'll join us next year too.

Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.