Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a fantastic round of A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game with my family tonight. My wife, my 9 year old daughter, my sister in law and her boyfriend, and my mother in law played a collaborative game against the Werewolf (on basic mode -- they are new to the game).

We spend 2.5 hours collecting items, sussing out secrets, and working our way around the town. Then, before we were really ready, we bought a lair card and went in for a showdown against the Werewolf. We were tired and this was going to be it.

The first round, we did a little damage and he did plenty, but we burned up a bunch of "prevent damage" cards, so only one of us (me) went out the first time around. The second round, we started really scoring some hits, but he did as well. One by one our adventurers got KO'd, leaving only one standing at the end of the round, with 26 wounds on the Werewolf (32 needed to defeat it). The next round, mano-a-mano, the Wolf rolled badly and gave just one wound, knocking out the militia and leaving our remaining hero with 3 wounds, only one space left. The wolf had 29 wounds at this point. The final roll, the wolf rolls three wounds and our hero will be KO'd. He rolls his seven hit dice and gets FOUR hits -- bringing the wolf's total to 33, and taking him out and winning the game.

We all jump up, shouting hooray and whooping it up, waking those unlucky enough to have gone to sleep instead of braving the wilds of Colonial America. Man, what a rush.

That's why I play board games. Fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome sounding game - and a nice story behind it. I imagine the group of investigators scattering and then several other games played against the werewolves were hunting the KOed "survivors" of your game.

My recent "super exciting" game was Defenders of the Realm - I was rolling my usual at the start of the game (meaning beyond expected horrible). By mid game we started making headway. Then the final general began its march towards Monarch City. We threw caution to the wind and did a "hail mary" final assault and our luck totally turned around. We rolled a lot of hits and took down the last general just outside the city. My wife cheered and we high-fived, then I looked at the next Darkness Spreads card... "general advances to Monarch City." Had we not attacked when we did, we would have lost.

In the end, I think this is why I like cooperative games more than competitive games. When we are all working together against a strong AI opponents, then we all get to celebrate when victory - and when we lose and are miserable? Well, we have company then (then play Flash Point: Fire Rescue to get a win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is why I love board games as well: getting totally immersed in another World for a couple of hours or more and really feeling the sting of defeat or the joy of victory.

Me and my friend played X-Wing last Wednesday and I had my scum force with 4 Z-95s each equipped with a bomb that meant, when destroyed, each ship would cause 1 damage to anyone close. I also had my big IG-88 Aggressor in game, which was doing a lot of damage left and right. My friend had 6 small ships, and I was pretty much annihalating him, much to his annoyance. Anyway, suffice to say I had 4 ships left, my 3 remaining Z-95s with 1 hit each remaining, and my Aggressor with 2. He had 3 ships left, 2 with 1 hit each and 1 with 2. We were all piled up on one side of the battlefield in very close range, and it was his turn to attack. He quickly worked out that if he targeted one of my Z-95s and hit he would cause a chain reaction destroying every ship on the table. Then we realised my Aggressor was in range of 2 of my Z-95s whilst his remaining ship with 2 hits left was only in range of one. So he shot, took out 5 ships (all of mine and his 2), with his one ship remaining on the board with 1 hit left. It was the most ridiculous end to a game of X-Wing we've had yet, and hilarious. We joked about the pilot returning home and explaining what had happened, and the guilt he'd feel at simultaneously winning the battle but also sacrificing two of his comrades to do so.

I didn't even care that I'd lost, it was just a hilarious outcome.

So yeah, THAT'S why I play board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That must have been seriously fun. I love it when a game gets close to the wire like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can get some pretty cool stories from a good game session. Those are always some of the best ones.

I taught Samurai Swords (Ikusa) to some friends recently, and the game went over well. Everyone caught on to the basic strategies pretty quickly. Of course, I'm the veteran gamer of our group, and I'd played the game before, so several of them decided I was the most dangerous player and kept trying to gang up on me, but it wasn't working too well for them. My armies were kicking butt, and my lands were quickly becoming unassailable. Heh heh.

So what they finally settled on doing was that, after a brief bidding war, they began throwing all their money into hiring the ninja every turn for perhaps seven or eight turns in a row to constantly assassinate my armies' daimyo (warlords). One army in particular got hit five or six times in a row... It began to feel as though I were in a Japanese themed episode of Black Adder:

"What about our Southern army? It's just been sitting there for months. What's our general doing?"

"Assassinated."

"Well, what about his successor?"

"Assassinated."

"And the one after him?"

"Also assassinated."

"How many assassinations are we talking about here?"

"Six. We keep putting in someone new, and they keep bumping him off. It's getting harder and harder to find replacements. At this point, it's not exactly a plum assignment."

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
The final roll, the wolf rolls three wounds and our hero will be KO'd. He rolls his seven hit dice and gets FOUR hits -- bringing the wolf's total to 33, and taking him out and winning the game.

Checking the WW sheet, looks like Basic game only has the hits on 4+, thought maybe he also had the attacks first. Then again, never played just Basic, if you can handle the game at all, you're ready for Advanced.

Regarding the fight itself, no Silver Shot? SS just annihilates the WW, each 6 = 3 hits, he usually goes down with a single attack, even when playing co-op, chucking 15-20+ dice, you're bound to get your share of 6s (I think the best single roll was 22 hits on 22 dice, SS naturally helping the most).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
massimo zeppetelli
United Kingdom
London
Hackney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
The final roll, the wolf rolls three wounds and our hero will be KO'd. He rolls his seven hit dice and gets FOUR hits -- bringing the wolf's total to 33, and taking him out and winning the game.

Checking the WW sheet, looks like Basic game only has the hits on 4+, thought maybe he also had the attacks first. Then again, never played just Basic, if you can handle the game at all, you're ready for Advanced.

Regarding the fight itself, no Silver Shot? SS just annihilates the WW, each 6 = 3 hits, he usually goes down with a single attack, even when playing co-op, chucking 15-20+ dice, you're bound to get your share of 6s (I think the best single roll was 22 hits on 22 dice, SS naturally helping the most).

We played on basic because four of the five people had not played this game before, and two had not really played complicated games much, so even the basic rules were already the limit of what they could do.

We went into the fight underprepared because it was getting late and the mood of the table was clearly shifting -- new players take longer, so there we were. It was super fun, nonetheless.

I am looking forward to playing advanced rules sometime soon, but have yet to play the game a second time with any group (too many diff games to play!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games of Settlers Of Catan and Seafarers Of Catan via online multiplayer using the Sea3d application where some of my most memorable games were those I lost horribly. However, in the end, there were more assholes than pleasant people, so I stopped going there. It was then I realized I played Catan mostly for the building aspect and NOT the trading part, so I stopped playing Settlers and used that time to play other games more suited towards my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stories. I've had a few fun nail-biters recently.

First, introducing my son to ASLSK. Scenario 1, he's playing the Germans, I'm playing the US paratroopers. We have some fun back & forth in the middle of the battlefield over the victory condition buildings. I'm locked in there & he cannot quite get in. He has a decent position to the North making my reinforcements' lives hard. I manage to neutralize them and everyone makes a mad dash down the road to get to the center as his Germans have managed to battle their way into one position for the win. We have a heavy firefight across the road while I'm worrying about some lucky rally rolls & getting hit from behind. I finally have to make an all-out assault through a little smoke across the road to try and force a close combat & eject him from the building. He does a good job neutralizing my superior numbers and gains himself a near-even fight. We literally got to the last close combat roll in the last phase of the game. He won when he was sure almost the whole game I was going to steamroll him. H knew he earned that win fair & on his own, and I think gave enough encouragement to try a second scenario which we are still working on.

Then we broke out my new copy of PBL Robots. Both of us learning the game. My son gains the upper hand knocking out a couple of limbs quickly, but that game me enough pilot points to deploy my expert pilot who promptly pounded him down to even with me. We then had several tit-for-tat exchanges whittling down our hands & decks trying to gain an upper hand. I got him down to just legs left & his pilot into critical form, which gave him a decided defensive advantage. We did some more tit-for-tat, running out of resources just to stay in the fight. I finally wore him down enough he couldn't counter my final attack & I pulled the win. We both declared it a fun game & it will see some more table time.

Later in the weekend, we got my wife and a friend into a game of Ticket To Ride. It seemed like my son and I were just barreling along, then out guest player pulled a catch-up sequence and seemed poised for a win. She got to the end-game trigger and we started tallying tickets. As expected, my son and I had the advantage here (we've played more). It was looking like I had the win by 9. Then it was time to check for longest route. My son was sure he had it, but we had to re-count a couple of times. My wife snuck in quite a long chain of routes while nobody was paying much attention. She missed by ONE train, and he pulled the win.

Yep, that's why we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm Yeah. We've had a many good games of Betrayal like that. Very rough, give and take, where there is one or two survivors barely managing to make it out alive, or the traitor has to fight tooth and nail to eliminate the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I gotta get this game back out on the table. Been ripping my brains out with Mage Knight, but now this game is on my radar because it was so much fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed it seems that the hobby of late is skewing towards the fun factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls