Navajo Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Raid path - same MPs but different number of stones(areas) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been answered already (I couldn't spot it in a forum search) or is a rule I have overlooked.

An enemy raid is occurring ... they have reached a fork in the path.
My closest family (in MP distance) can be reached via 2 different routes, both of the same MP value ...but 1 route requires the raiders to travel through 6 areas, the other 7 areas.

Both routes being the same MP value, do I get to choose which route the raiders take? Obviously the 7 area route would likely be to my advantage, over the 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one. (I posted an answer but deleted it as I realized I misunderstood the question.)

One thing that might have relevance to your situation is that the enemy avoid going through Canyon de Chelly, so if that's one of the available routes in your case then it gets lower priority, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm yes, and I've just found it's not the best idea to draw the enemy raiders via the longer path through empty territories - due to the outpost placement that occurs within them at the end of the raid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yup. Managing the raids is key to success in this game and there are so many aspects to managing them: family placement for evasion as well as for steering the raid purposes, family ferocity, AP availability ... (This illustrates well the complexities built into this great design.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Both routes being the same MP value, do I get to choose which route the raiders take?

No: Alphabetic Priority guides the Enemy. From the Enemy Raid Flowchart:

Quote:
DIRECTION: If the Raid counter could go in more than one direction, place the Raid counter into the Area which is closer to the nearest (in terms of MPs) Area containing a Family counter (Alphabetic Priority). Ignore Families in Canyon de Chelly unless no other Families on Area Tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case of equal distance (in MP) the Raid moves towards the family that's first in alphabetical order (of those in involved in the tie).

EDIT: parallel posting with EV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, there's no family tie ... just one family involved, and at multiple equal MP distances from the junction. The only issue is that one path has more areas to travel through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, then I misunderstood your question... I don't have the map in front of me right now, so I wonder where the only family was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a diagram of the raiding hoard, my family's location ...and the paths.

Edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, that's a rare situation
I don't think this is covered in the rules. Maybe Joel joins in here to give a ruling on that.
In the meantime I'd say, either:
- player's choice, or
- roll a die to randomly determin direction

I hope you had families in the #6 spaces of the other territories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! You're right, there are some loops on the map blush

I'm quite sure no rule exists for a scenario like this; until an official statement comes, I'd pick the shortest route (and notice that the longest one, while requiring the Enemy to "waste" one more counter, would potentially affect one more Territory at the end of the Raid).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew ... I'm glad I wasn't completely failing here and it was actually something legit.
I did actually give the raiders the shortest (in areas) route to get to me in the end, but yes, am very keen to hear the ruling on this.
Indeed, Lines, I did have my other 2 families farther off to the right ...but it didn't help in the end; there were just so many raid counters. I'd had a bad run of Ceremony cards, one after the other, early on that had caused a bit of a stack to form at Santa Fe; and a couple of my families were a bit on the ferocious side, so that added a few more to the stack.

Well, live and learn (this was my first actual game past the intro play-through).

Loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
I'd say that if ou have only 1 family left, then it doesn't matter which path they use.

If, like in your case, there were other families, than you should take the path closer to the 2nd closer family, going again in alphabetical order if the 2nd and the 3rd are equally distant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolframius wrote:
I'd say that if ou have only 1 family left, then it doesn't matter which path they use.

If, like in your case, there were other families, than you should take the path closer to the 2nd closer family, going again in alphabetical order if the 2nd and the 3rd are equally distant.

It does matter, in that if there are raid counters in a territory and no family there (including its caught/escape boxes), something bad happens. They build/expand an outpost there, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
Urza47 wrote:
wolframius wrote:

It does matter, in that if there are raid counters in a territory and no family there (including its caught/escape boxes), something bad happens. They build/expand an outpost there, I think.

In that case we could even add that if the path selection will cause a build action, the enemy raid counter should be placed in the zone with the lower number (which is the order in which the outpost usually appears).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.