George Leathley
msg tools
So me and my friends have played "the shadow rune campaign" and gotten to the finale (gryvorn unleashed). In second encounter our hero's took out zachareth and then dealt a fair bit of damage to gryvorn. So on the overlords turn the situation was that he just had gryvorn on 1hp, all heroes were dead apart from my character which was on 3hp. He attacked my character (while he was adjacent) and dealt enough damage to kill my character. However, my hero had the deflecting shield equipped (exhaust this card after rolling defence dice to add 1 shield to the results. Then, choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 1 wound) meaning I also killed gryvorn in the process right? So with everyone dead we were unsure as to whether this meant the campaign was a tie or whether one side should win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tie breaker is you have to play another campaign. Whoever wins the second campaign is the winner of the first campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in this case Splig wins, and the "King of all Goblins" rules

To be honest though, I think the heroes would win. The wording on the deflective shield seems to indicate that the damage is dealt instantly, which would mean that it happens before the attack is completely resolved and the hero is defeated. Thus a win condition is fulfilled and the quest ends.

If the attack would be resolved before the damage from the shield would be dealt to Gryvorn, then the overlord would win.

If the attack would be resolved at the same time as the damage from the shield, then the overlord could choose which effect happens in which order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic

Since the evil was eliminated, I would say that the heroes won and would be revered as martyrs for all eternity by the people of Terrinoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such thing as a tie in descent- there are only victory conditions. Whoever fulfills the victory condition first wins. If you fulfill the victory conditions at the "same time" (that is literally off of the same triggering event) then that is a golden rule timing conflict, and the active player gets to choose the order in which they resolve (essentially picking the winner.)

For example, say there is a single hero left, and Gryvorn, and they both have 1 health. The hero is adjacent to Gryvorn, and attacks him with Blast. Both the hero and Gryvorn get hit with the attack, and will be knocked out during step 5 of combat. The hero, being the active player, chooses to deal damage to Gryvorn first and the heroes win. Otherwise, the hero could choose to deal damage to himself first- in which case the OL would win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The tie breaker is you have to play another campaign. Whoever wins the second campaign is the winner of the first campaign.

You sure the tie breaker is not best 3 out of 5?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Best finish ever.