10 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » General

Subject: Xia 3D Models rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
badge
Check out our Podcast (Tabletop Sessions), Instagram (@tabletopsessions), and Twitter (@ttsessionsqa)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys- does anyone know where I could browse and download 3D models of ships? I am aware of the tools provided at http://www.faroffgames.com/modding/templates/ and I can manage the ship mats, cards, etc- However, 3D modeling is not one of my skills. I also found a lot of models on thingiverse.com but they do not have the shape to snap into the Xia plastic stands, which I think make the game play easier than just models on the board.

If there's a database of fan made models, I can't seem to find it. Xia, and Cody are amazing providing us with these tools. Can't wait to get customizing.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C.
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Pendragon
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link that Cody gave out earlier. I don't know if these work with the plastic stands or not. Cody recommended the Frosted Detail plastic:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FarOffGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheatie wrote:
Cody recommended the Frosted Detail plastic

But they are really expensive... Can someone maybe explain the differences between the shapeways plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheatie wrote:
Here's a link that Cody gave out earlier. I don't know if these work with the plastic stands or not. Cody recommended the Frosted Detail plastic:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FarOffGames

Thank you Josh. Looks good. I think I may have to learn a bit of 3D modeling for the sake of this game :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
d0gb0t wrote:
Wheatie wrote:
Cody recommended the Frosted Detail plastic

But they are really expensive... Can someone maybe explain the differences between the shapeways plastic?

The difference in the Shapeways materials is the amount of detail they have. Some are more fragile than others as well.

I print my models in "Frosted Ultra Detail plastic" and "Frosted Extra Detail plastic". I prefer the "Extra" as it is somewhat smoother and has less issues (bits missing off the model).

Personally, I wouldn't buy gaming minis in either of these materials as they are EXTREMELY fragile (I broke one yesterday just by dropping it - that's a lot of money gone). However, I am not sure if painting them would make them stronger? Or maybe some kind of coating? Unfortunately, some models are so detailed that they can not be printed in any other material.

I print gaming minis in these two materials ONLY because I will be using them for manufacturing moulds and for painting (for Kickstarter photos). I would never play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really great info, Lenny. It's amazingly difficult to find info on this kind of stuff, so what you've shared is invaluable.

What material would you choose for gameplay minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strong and flexible plastic is strong for gaming minis. You do lose out on a little bit of fine detail, but ultimately you can still end up with good looking models if the designer keeps it in mind while designing. The strong and flexible plastic can also be slightly grainy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Can anyone explain the price differences between the models? That is pretty huge variability for very similarly sized items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Can anyone explain the price differences between the models? That is pretty huge variability for very similarly sized items.

I'm not sure it's the size. I'm guessing but maybe it's the amount of detail causing longer printing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
MentatYP wrote:
That's really great info, Lenny. It's amazingly difficult to find info on this kind of stuff, so what you've shared is invaluable.

What material would you choose for gameplay minis?

Thank you very much!! For the tip also

What would I use? The gamer who commented right after you has the answer. I would sacrifice some of the detail and go for a hardier plastic (one of the basic plastic options in Shapeways). They're far cheaper too! I do not personally have experience with anything other than the Frosted plastics from Shapeways so far. The reason for that is this: the minis I am creating are too detailed for the other materials they offer. Walls (edges) are too thin and extremities (such as fingers) are too fine as well. But I am printing them because, once the mould is made with them, it doesn't matter. The moulds will simply be plastic-injected.

I've tried to test my minis in every material Shapeways offers (including all the metals, wax, etc.), but nothing can handle the detail. There is an option on the site to "auto-fix" your model (fix the problem-causing areas). The result is mutant minis with huge blobs all over the place.

I don't think Cody's Xia ships will cause any problems. They're pretty safe models.

Thank you again and I hope you have fun researching this stuff and maybe experimenting yourself!

By the way, if you are interested in having someone digitally sculpt minis for you (which you can then 3D print), I have a very good contact. He does a good job (I'm fussy) and charges only US $150 per mini. I am getting mine done for US $110 each because one of the games I'm working on has over 20 different minis. He does good hard-surface modelling (spaceships, machinery, etc.) as well as organic (characters, animals, etc.) I found him advertising on BGG as a freelancer looking for sculpting work. He's very understanding of one's needs and communicates well.

Send me a Geekmail if you are interested. I check my inbox daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls