Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, turn 3 of the 1942 start campaign ended with DEI still in AP hands: Medan and Soerabaja have not fallen, ABDA is in Kendari, and the Dutch police are still clubbing natives in the south east bases. I had quite a few reinforcements come in on turn 4 as the AP and wondered if I should try and contest DEI. I decided not to, but rather reinforced already strong positions in the Solomon Islands, New Guinea and Burma. My logic for this was:

1. His force is mostly concentrated in striking distance of the DEI bases, so whatever I put there he would jump on and most likely smash, although it might take him a few turns to do it.

2. Reinforcing the extremes of his position (south east pac and Burma) will stretch him logistically, and force him to split and dilute his forces. The main reason he missed DEI turn 3 is that I was seriously harassing Rabaul and Truk, so maintaining multiple active fronts seems like a good plan.

Still, it felt like a missed opportunity to harass him in DEI, but the risk didn't seem worth the reward. What are other people's experiences with an aggressive defence of DEI turn 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An experienced JP will normally not give the AP an opportunity to contest the DEI. (I say this to give an idea what the JP should be striving for; taking the DEI on turn 2, or at least shutting it down completely, requires practice.)

If the AP is able to get an early corps into a port with ADBA and air cover, it can be a challenge and a major distraction for the JP. On the other hand, that might leave Port Moresby or some other location lightly defended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I could have spared a corps and an air unit for Kendari to save ABDA. OK, so basically, the plan is to just have a defendable base that can causes trouble in the heart of the DEI, or takes significant resources to root out - makes sense. It's a minimal commitment that would take many more resources to remove than create.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls