GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,434 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another tile placement variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Those who have played 5+ games will mostly agree the first tile placer gets the shaft. Not only does the next player get to react precisely to the 1st players objective tokens and place the ideal army to best the defenders, but on top of that the later players will place their order tokens last thus assuring that they will go first during order resolution of the particular system tile in question.

So here's a simple optional variant to throw some love back to the first player:
(FYI this would only work in 2 and 3 player games)

1: first player does NOT have to place objectives on the first tile placed. Thus 1st player will be placing objectives on their 2nd and third tile placement, while remaining players place objectives as usual.

2. First player places 1st warp storm, then next player clockwise places a warp storm etc. (original rules were in reverse player order iirc)

Play with 1, 2, or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Heck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think variant 1 would help player 1 in a two player game, but be harmful in a 3 player game.

With two players, I usually want an objective in my home system, because I will usually want to defend at least one.

But in 3 players, I'd much prefer a home system without objective tokens. Being a relative waste of time is one of the best defenses And I don't necessarily mind if a player captures both objectives from me, especially if I'm able to capture my own in the meantime (and another players home system gets jacked in the process!)

These conclusions depend on the assumption that optimal play will usually involve playing a factory on a home system tile as a final move, to avoid being flanked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.