Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leander Van Reeth
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Not a hungry hippo.
mbmbmbmbmb
After having friends over a few times and spending way too much time cleaning the tables afterwards, I have vowed to never invite anyone again as long as we don't have a set of coasters.

So my girlfriend and I had this great idea of making Carcassonne inspired coasters (to be honest: it was my idea and I had to promise to help her make a golden dinosaur cookie tray in return, but I'll take what I can get). My first idea was to find a high quality scan of a tile and re-size it to the size of a coaster, so one coaster = one tile. But then we realized that it would be more fun to make smaller tiles (approximately the size of the actual Carcassonne tiles) and use four tiles to make one coaster. And it would be even more fun if you could change the tiles around and make different patterns each time you use them. If we had a spare copy of the game lying around we could have used the actual tiles, but we don't.

We have printed a set of tiles (like these), pasted them on pieces of corkboard and applied some varnish and the result is quite nice (I can take some pictures later). But now there's still one problem left: the tiles don't stay in one place when you lift up and put down your glass a few times. This makes for a rather lousy coaster because it allows liquid to seep through. So now we're looking for a way to fix the tiles, but make them easy to take apart again. Ideally there would be an extra layer of corkboard on which we can fix the tiles. Does anybody have suggestions on how to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
felt backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make a wooden coaster base where there is a square engraved into it. Like these costers below but with a square instead of a circle engraved:

If you size the inner square to fit four tiles then you can put them in as you please and then tip over the coaster to get the tiles out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to use actual Carcasonne tiles you should find a way to finish their surface at least. Otherwise moisture from the surface of the glass will leach into the tile and damage the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Use ceramic tiles for the base like these photo coasters: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2010/11/how-to-make-photo-coasters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Velcro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Van Reeth
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Not a hungry hippo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We've tried
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
's suggestion (though we did it with two layers of cork instead of wood) which is the perfect solution for our problem. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls