Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Designed for the 2015 Children’s PNP Game Design Contest.

Personal Goal: Work with my 5-year-old son to design a boardgame.

-Nothing here yet-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, he had already built a game where he had spaceships and ninjas (from the Ninjago LEGO universe) and if the ninjas piloted the ships in the right way, they attacked the other player's ship and I would generally lose. Most interesting to me, he built a "jail" in which to put the players. Meanwhile, there was a second token (a "robot"?) that could continue piloting the ship and acted as a co-pilot. I think that the co-pilot would also lose and cause the end of the game.

I'm fascinated by the jail idea. Piloting the ships is also nifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome that you're working on a game with your five year old. Keep us posted on how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Planning:

1. There's a bad guy. There are smaller guys inside the bad-guy suit. When we defeat them they run away.
2. The good guys have powers. There are four good guys: yellow ninja, orange ninja, grey ninja, and blue ninja.
3. They good ninjas can throw bombs.
4. The ninjas and the bad guy have cubes for their power.
5. The ninja powers are water, ice, fire, and tornado:
Water makes stuff flow down.
Tornado mixes everything up.
Fire burns stuff up.
Ice freezes stuff.

So how do we use this?

Idea: Use an opaque draw bag and draw cubes of matching colors out of the bag.

Idea: Use a grid of targets (recessed squares), which can have cubes added to it, removed from, mixed up, and moved down. With a gutter, so that not all cubes get used.

I like the 2nd idea better. The targets would specify which actions the players can and can't do.

Can the good guys lose? Sometimes.
What happens to them? Nothing.
Do they get hurt? Yeah, they can get hurt. But the good guys never quit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
OK, so after thinking a lot about the game, I decided that there will be no way for the good guys to lose. I know, that makes it less interesting for any adults playing, but I'm too lazy to try and craft this game into an enjoyable experience regardless of winning or losing. And it's targeted at my kids, who are 5 and 3, so losing doesn't appeal to them. (They're still learning to handle it.)

So: It'll be a co-op game, for 1-4 players (each of the ninja colors) all facing off against a single bad guy. Here's the art my son and his friend drew for the good guys and the bad guy:

I've made a bunch of holes inside two layers of cardboard. Three holes: head, torso, legs:

The cardboard goes into a box, and we'll be tossing cubes around in there. Some of them will land inside the holes.

The rules are simple:

1. Setup: Place all the bad-guy white cubes into the box.
2. Before attacking, each ninja can add 1 cube into the box.
3. One of the players shakes the box with all the cubes and puts it down. Check how many cubes are in each hole: if there are more (as many?) ninja cubes than bad guy cubes in a hole, take out one of the bad guy cubes.
4. Keep playing until all the bad guy cubes are gone, and the bad guy is defeated!

Special rules for after the cubes have been shaken, which are the powers of the ninja:

1. Tornado Spin: The black ninja can choose to re-shake the box. (Whenever he wants, but I'd recommend before other players move cubes)
2. Rising Fire: The red ninja can move his 1 of his cubes up: from legs to torso, or from torso to head.
3. Cascading Water: The blue ninja can so the same, but down: from head to torso, or from torso to legs.
4. Glaring Confusion: The yellow ninja can choose to move any of the bad-guy cubes either up or down.

I think that with proper narration, this can sound like an exciting story for them.

But I'm still nagged by what he said, that the good guys can get hurt. They don't, here. Maybe I'll have to add that in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I just launched the 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest! You are welcome to re-enter this game (or a new game) if you would like. I hope to see you back this year!

2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.