Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
So specifically, I'm thinking along the lines of changing the action system so that instead of having discreet Movement, Market and Experience phases, you just have an Actions phase and each hero gets three actions each turn, with the actions being:

- Move (move without rolling dice)
- Explore (move with rolling dice, -1 die per fatigue)
- Rest (roll 5 terrain dice and heal a combo of fatigue/health equal to the number of matching terrain icons rolled)
- Trade (only in town, as per original rules)
- Train (basically, the Experience phase)
- Quest (take on a quest in your space)

Also maybe use the knocked out rules from 3e as well: regain 1 health, lose next action, and... something?

Lastly, escape rules...? Roll terrain dice equal to your Mind damage value (can add dice by spending fatigue). If you roll a terrain symbol adjacent to you, you can escape...?

Thoughts (though please no "just leave 2e alone" comments, please - I just want thoughts on whether the variants would likely work well)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically once you buy Runebound, it is your game to play it how you will enjoy it.

We always had house rules in Runebound, it is how we made it playable.

There will be no DOTA like tournament for Runebound, where everything has to be exactly followed. Play it how you (and your group) want to get it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
Technically once you buy Runebound, it is your game to play it how you will enjoy it.

We always had house rules in Runebound, it is how we made it playable.

There will be no DOTA like tournament for Runebound, where everything has to be exactly followed. Play it how you (and your group) want to get it to the table.

Yes, I know that, thanks.

But what I'm asking is, do you think these rules would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "3rd edition" 2nd edition variant. I like it. I might try it cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, might take a bit more time on a turn.
More meaningful turn is a plus.
Thanks for listing out changes for us 2ed people, worth trying and price is right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
So specifically, I'm thinking along the lines of changing the action system so that instead of having discreet Movement, Market and Experience phases, you just have an Actions phase and each hero gets three actions each turn, with the actions being:

I would recommend to stick with the following phases, i like them.

Refresh Phases
Movement Phase
Action Phase (Market included)
Experience Phase

And i would use the following changes, if you like.

bleached_lizard wrote:
Move 1 space adjacent as 1 action
bleached_lizard wrote:
No need. You move first at movement phase before action phase.
bleached_lizard wrote:
- Rest (roll 5 terrain dice and heal a combo of fatigue/health equal to the number of matching terrain icons rolled)
May use this action if you skipped the movement phase.
bleached_lizard wrote:
No chances
bleached_lizard wrote:
No chances
bleached_lizard wrote:
No chances

You forgot one more action:

- Challenge ( You may begin a battle versus token enemy or character adjacent to your hero

bleached_lizard wrote:

Also maybe use the knocked out rules from 3e as well: regain 1 health, lose next action, and... something?

Lastly, escape rules...? Roll terrain dice equal to your Mind damage value (can add dice by spending fatigue). If you roll a terrain symbol adjacent to you, you can escape...?

Thoughts (though please no "just leave 2e alone" comments, please - I just want thoughts on whether the variants would likely work well)?

I don't have the rules so i can't argue the better ideas for these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this be in the 2e forum, given that is it about modifying 2e with 3e content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is how does this improve 2e? I'm NOT saying "leave 2e alone," but I'm curious what this change fixes.

It seems that players could move twice (with dice and without) and also rest. If that's the case, then I think it removes one of the good tensions in the game: Do I forfeit a movement die to remove exhaustion or press my luck? As a result, the game is somewhat easier (though I'm not sure how much). Also, movement is easier. Another tension that I've enjoyed in 2e is how to maximize my movement and the available quests.

So, if the goal is to make 2e easier, then, yeah, these changes could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the 2e forum, given that is it about modifying 2e with 3e content?

I did think that originally, but then I thought the proportion of people who might be interested in the variant would be higher on these boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbeason wrote:
My question is how does this improve 2e? I'm NOT saying "leave 2e alone," but I'm curious what this change fixes.

It seems that players could move twice (with dice and without) and also rest. If that's the case, then I think it removes one of the good tensions in the game: Do I forfeit a movement die to remove exhaustion or press my luck? As a result, the game is somewhat easier (though I'm not sure how much). Also, movement is easier. Another tension that I've enjoyed in 2e is how to maximize my movement and the available quests.

So, if the goal is to make 2e easier, then, yeah, these changes could work.

Not to make it easier, though yes, I realise that's likely (especially with the resting rules). But that's kinda fine for me (especially in regard to resting), as I always felt healing was so expensive in this game - you had to spend so much of your gold on healing that you never had any left over for cool items (which you would then lose when you died anyway)!

It's more just for the increased choice on a player turn. There's a reason why games (FFG games in particular) have moved away from procedural turn structures to more flexible turn structures: because it allows for more flexibility and choices on the part of the players, which many would consider "better" (though I understand that's quite subjective).

With a fixed turn structure, you're forced into "now I *must* move", "now I *must* train", etc. A flexible turn structure allows you to shake that up a bit.

There's still the action sacrifice if you decide to rest rather than move, so it's not like you're giving up that choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure if you meant to forfeit a move die for rest.

I understand the point about choice, but I rarely found the strict order limiting. I'm thinking of when it sometimes slowed the game, like where I might skip Movement to do something else and have to wait to my next turn to move.

To me, the most interesting choices in 2e are the strategic ones--when to heal, when to risk harder quests, how to spend coins, etc. But sometimes I wouldn't see those until later in the game. Introducing strategic choices early is one of the intentions, I'm sure, of the new token combat.

It'd be interesting to try your changes and see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

I think this is a nice idea and I will try it in my next 2nd edition play. However, I think that using 2 actions to take an adventure token is a good idea from 3rd edition, and I will try like that. The rest idea of using 1 action I think it is a good one too. I think I will try:

- Reactivate.
- 3 actions.
-- 1 action to move 1st time, 2 actions to move a 2nd time (either adjacent or using dice). 2nd edition rules to remove fatigue.
-- 1 action to trade.
-- 2 actions to adventure.
-- 1 action to heal.
- Experience phase.

About knocked out and escape I will keep 2nd edition rules for the moment too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.