Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom» Forums » General

Subject: Bunker Unstoppable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Incognito Chetto
msg tools
Enjoying the game but having trouble balancing whenever the Bunk is involved.

He seems to have all strengths with no weaknesses. High intrinsic defense (extra die and health) without having to use a card or ability. The option to keep amassing attack tokens to prepare for a killer blow if you don't focus on incapacitating him, and still a great support ability that doesn't require a card. Ok, he moves slightly less than other characters, but the grenade launcher which ignores line of sight means he has an answer for that as well.

I think the main problem I'm having is the combo of auxiliary power source (granting a passive +1 attack and aim token) and grenade launcher. The ability to Aim without using an action or needing line of sight... and then even getting at least one extra die on top of that!

I think I may have to house rule that the grenade launcher can't be aimed...would make sense thematically since he can't really see the target without line of sight.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bunker as a character and also like the strong powers omnicannon and turret mode...but man, what is the answer for this guy! (keep in mind I've played all characters in base and expansion except dawn).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bunker is a tank. He is heavily armoured, heavily armed and SLOW. That's your key to dealing with Bunker, don't engage him.
The Grenade Launcher has an Origin of 4, that means he has to be within 4 hexes of his target to shoot at them, that's a small area on a big map.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just double checking, you saw that aim and Attack tokens only affect a single target of a multi-target attack, right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Incognito Chetto
msg tools
Matchstickman wrote:
Bunker is a tank. He is heavily armoured, heavily armed and SLOW. That's your key to dealing with Bunker, don't engage him.
The Grenade Launcher has an Origin of 4, that means he has to be within 4 hexes of his target to shoot at them, that's a small area on a big map.


With a vertex attack origin 4, that means Bunker can effectively be five spaces away (getting one further space due to vertex area of effect) and attack (equivalent to range five of a regular attack right?)...That's only one less than the max range a regular attack could hit at without reach modifiers. So, I'd have to be at least 8 spaces away from Bunker on the start of his turn to keep him from sprinting and throwing a grenade in my face w/ +1 attack/aim (given he spends both for the initial target).

Maybe I'm setting up the map wrong but I find it hard to stay that far out of range and still get line of sight on anyone. Been using Metropolis side of hexes in circular pattern like in scenario books. Should I doing my setup differently?

Also, if you don't engage bunker, won't he just keep stacking attack +1 tokens until he gets to use them? Thanks for replying guys...really love how the theme comes through in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Docholly wrote:
Also, if you don't engage bunker, won't he just keep stacking attack +1 tokens until he gets to use them?


Baron Blade's Devious Disruptor is a pretty good counter to that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Mehsu
msg tools
mb
also, if you have the operative in a game, loading him with boar's rage poison also sharply decreases his options, forcing him to try and close a gap, which is something he isn't equipped for. Alternatively, hero's defensive cards like wraith with slip into shadows or legacy with danger sense can help with the damage he inflicts or negate it entirely in the Wraith's case (sprint out of the vertex area of the attack = no attack) In fact, wraith makes a great anti-bunker character, as her Targeting computer allows for supper long range aims outside his reach, stunbolt tears up his defense and slows down his attack build up even if it misses, and slip into shadows always can prevent damage from his grenade and many of his other attacks in the right situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Docholly wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:
Bunker is a tank. He is heavily armoured, heavily armed and SLOW. That's your key to dealing with Bunker, don't engage him.
The Grenade Launcher has an Origin of 4, that means he has to be within 4 hexes of his target to shoot at them, that's a small area on a big map.


With a vertex attack origin 4, that means Bunker can effectively be five spaces away (getting one further space due to vertex area of effect) and attack (equivalent to range five of a regular attack right?)...That's only one less than the max range a regular attack could hit at without reach modifiers. So, I'd have to be at least 8 spaces away from Bunker on the start of his turn to keep him from sprinting and throwing a grenade in my face w/ +1 attack/aim (given he spends both for the initial target).

Maybe I'm setting up the map wrong but I find it hard to stay that far out of range and still get line of sight on anyone. Been using Metropolis side of hexes in circular pattern like in scenario books. Should I doing my setup differently?

Also, if you don't engage bunker, won't he just keep stacking attack +1 tokens until he gets to use them? Thanks for replying guys...really love how the theme comes through in the game.


Watch some of the tournaments on Youtube, and use the maps from those. Keep in mind that most games won't even go beyond round 2, as generally you all have your incaps by the end of that, though a few may go into round 3. This is a very 'deadly' game and requires a lot of tactics. The first person to get the good set up and figure out what trick will work. But yeah, the tournament games on youtube really show you how it plays at a higher level.

Actually Citizen Dawn + Citizen Truth is probably one of the most OP heroes as it is, which is why she is usually first ban. Baron Blade is also a huge pain. Actually Bunker is rarely played, rarely banned, and while he can contribute there are other characters that contribute more. His biggest weakness being his slow movement, especially when you add in Turrets and lava. You can also use Unity, and speed bot to do a first round run up and attack, explode Speed bot to do damage and swap out to turret bot giving you possibly a first round kill, or at least contributing to it.

Edit: Here's the link to the playlist on Greater Than Games. I personally like the PAX East tourney with the exception of Ocelot Attack, no idea how they got so far in the tourney:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GreaterThanGames/playlists
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.