New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BATTLECRY 150
TACTICAL RATING REFERENCE CHART
By Chas
(Draft 2; 8/15)

Use this chart when adding Tactician Cards (second deck) to BC150, as per Michael Bayernkini or others. American Civil War generals are given the following number of tactician Card Allocations in scenarios where they are the Commander of the Battle for their side. In addition, when appearing on the field themselves, generals with rating of 4 or better they should appear as “Famous” for purposes of Corps Command Command Cards, etc.

Draft 2;
This covers all generals in the original BC150 scenarios, and most of the scenarios at www.ccbattlecry,net

USA

Grant 6
Sherman 5
Sheridan 5
Thomas 5
Meade 4

McDowell 3
McClellan 3
Pope 3
Burnside 3
Hooker 3

Milroy 3
Patterson 2
Shields 2
Siegel 2
Banks 2
Tyler 2
Cameron 2

Thomas 5
Lyon 4
Curtis 4
Rosecrans 3
Buell 3
MCClernand 3
Schofield 3
Carr 2
Nelson 2
Herron 2
Slough 2

Reynolds 4
Hancock 4
Buford 4
Pleasonton 3
Sumner 3
Stevens 3
Ord 3
Gregg 3
Stone 2
Bowen 2

CSA

Lee 6
Jackson 5
Longstreet 5
J. Johnston 5
JEB Stuart 5
Early 4
Beauregard 4
A./S. Johnston 4

A.P. Hill 3
D. H. Hill 3
B.. Johnson 3
Hood 3
Pickett 3
B. Johnson 3
Heth 3
Ewell 3
Magruder 3
H. R. Jackson 3
Evans 2
Jenkins 2

Bragg 3
Pemberton 3
Price 3
Van Dorn 3
Kirby-Smith 3
McCulllough 3
Taylor 3
Cleburne 3
Crittenden 3
Breckinridge 3
Scrurry 2
Hebert 2
Floyd 1
Pillow 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good effort. Thanks. I think I may have made Lee a 5 and Jackson a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I was hesitant to do this, was that I knew any ACW General ranking system will be controversial. But I guess folks can use it as a base, and change it as they like.

I just added Meade, who was omitted by mistake. But there will be another draft, when I get a chance to look at the fan site scenarios I've printed out, as well as those which came with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
One of the reasons I was hesitant to do this, was that I knew any ACW General ranking system will be controversial. But I guess folks can use it as a base, and change it as they like.

I just added Meade, who was omitted by mistake. But there will be another draft, when I get a chance to look at the fan site scenarios I've printed out, as well as those which came with the game.
Just a thought...but ratings could change depending on the battle. Some commanders may have had a bad day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Absolutely! But that would take even more time. I mentioned elsewhere that as Wellesley at 5 goes to Wellington at 6 in CCN Leadership, Grant could certainly be rated lower earlier on. Feel free to make such adjustments.

Note also that I have now done Draft 2, which now replaces Draft 1 in the OP. This second draft has been submitted to the Files section.

There are many more Civil War Generals who are not yet in BC150 scenarios, and a few of them are also put in for reference.

I will now be using the expanded 50 card Tactical Card deck by Michael Dippel, which is also in the Files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTES TO BC150 TACTICIAN RATINGS
by Chas

1. Special Abilities

I have heard that in the upcoming CCN Leadership Expansion, Napoleon and Wellington will be given special abilities, but I have not seen them yet in the printed rules on the fan site. Should this be the case, I will give some to Grant, Lee, and perhaps others.

2. Historical Scenario Assignments

While those who serve as Commanding Side Generals in the official and fan site scenarios issued so far have all been given ratings on my chart, some others have not. Non-commanding generals with ratings of less than 4 do not need to be rated unless they appear as side commanders in later scenarios, as they will not appear as "Famous."

For Example, in Draft 3 CSA General Forrest will be rated a 4. However, as a cavalry commander, his superior ability will only come into play in a lower level scenario which features him as a side commander. Forrest, like Stonewall Jackson, was able to defeat multiple enemies on his trail who had larger commands than he did! Formally unschooled in the military arts, he was a natural military genius, whose famous dictum about how to win a battle is known to most Civil War buffs: "Git thar fustest with the mostest men." (He was also extremely controversial, as the postwar founder of the Ku Klux Clan.)

On the other hand, at the start of the American Civil War some generals were sometimes promoted to that high rank as reenactors are today--based on the number of men they were able to recruit to the colors! Hence the abysmal records and rating of men like Butler (USA), Floyd and Pillow (CSA).

3. Scenario Ratings Adjustments

It has been mentioned that some generals varied their abilities on certain battlefields, having a particularly good or bad day. CCN shows Wellesley at a 5 but growing to a 6 as Wellington. Grant could also be rated lower in very early scenarios. There are so many generals and scenarios that I have not done this, but you may of course if you like.

4. Branch of Service Limits

You could argue that cavalry or artillery specialsts should be limited to commanding their type of unit. None of the latter have appeared. For the cavalry, I'll just note JEB Stuart's competent performance as temporary Corps Commander, replacing Stonewall Jackson when he was badly wounded at Chancellorsville and carried from the field. Likewise at Fort Donelson, any Confederate officer would gladly follow Forrest in his breakout attempt, rather than surrender with the fort! So I have not introduced any such limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with not adding different versions of the same genral, or extra restrictions on their abilities. It goes against the spirit of the system, and most probably adds little or nothing to the accuracy if results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
I agree with not adding different versions of the same genral, or extra restrictions on their abilities. It goes against the spirit of the system, and most probably adds little or nothing to the accuracy if results.
Actually, I respectfully disagree. An early war Grant should not be rated the same as a late war Grant. Lee was having a "bad day" at Gettysburg so should probably be downgraded a notch for any of those scenarios. I do agree that for simplicity's sake it would be much easier to just assign a rating and go with it. But for little effort, you'd get more historicity in a scenario if ratings were occasionally adjusted based on a general's experience and circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Actually, I respectfully disagree. An early war Grant should not be rated the same as a late war Grant. Lee was having a "bad day" at Gettysburg so should probably be downgraded a notch for any of those scenarios. I do agree that for simplicity's sake it would be much easier to just assign a rating and go with it. But for little effort, you'd get more historicity in a scenario if ratings were occasionally adjusted based on a general's experience and circumstances.

That is definitely the best way if one are (re)designing scenarios, but becomes, in my opinion, more complicated than desirable when trying to retrofit existing scenario. Plus it also gets even more subjective (i.e. we could probably get a real good argument going here whether Lee really performed sub par at Gettysburg, or whether it was the poor performance of his corps commanders that caused defeat).

If generals had lower performances in multiple scenarios, one could just average them out (Make a Grant and Lee 5s rather than 6s overall); arguably, if they had bad enough days to be noted, then maybe they do not really deserve such a high rating to begin with . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls