Subject: Vassal PBEM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Einar Faanes
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone up for a PBEM game of CL using Vassal? I've have done one physical playthrough to learn the rules and two on my own using Vassal. Would like to play with people that aren't me and think CL is what I should be able to chew on atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal by dropbox is my preference. Count me in. I have never played the syndicate, so that is my preference, otherwise any faction is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three or four solo games and would like to try a "real" game, so i would be in.

I've never played pbm via vassal AND I never played Cuba Libre FTF so I hope everyone is fine with me potentially making a mistake or two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Faanes
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. I will probably make a couple of mistakes myself. If Dropbox is ok with everyone, pm your emails and I will set up a shared folder and set up the game.

Mark, if you want to play the Syndicate that is great. Matthias and Arubiero, any preferences? Ok to assign at random?

Any other questions before we start concerning the game and Vassal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem using Dropbox and i don't have any faction preferences, so random is fine with me.

Untill now I've only used Vassal for solo play, is there anything essential to know about using it for PBEM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as playing by email goes, basically you create log files which is different from just playing VASSAL. A log is like a click by click record of your moves. Before you take your first move you start a logfile and when you are done you end your logfile. If you have the file saved in dropbox it will automatically share with the other players. You send an email to the group letting everybody know who gets the next action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Faanes
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the factions will be:
Government - Arubiero
Syndicate - Mark
Directorio Revolucionario Estudantil - Matthias
Movimiento 26 de Julio - Einar

I suggest this file naming format: CL-log number-moving faction-next faction.vlog. Thus if M26 made logfile number 56 and the Government are next it would be CL-056-M26-Gov.vlog.

I've made a setup logfile (CL-000-setup-Syn.vlog). Just load Cuba Libre into Vassal with the 'Default setup' and load the logfile by clicking 'File -> Load continuation...'. The logfile can be scrolled through with page down. At the end it will ask you if you want to start a new logfile. Click 'no' unless this was the last logfile and you're up next. When you've made your moves click 'File -> End logfile', save your gamestate separately on your computer or a subfolder, and notify the rest.

I've only PBEM'd Vassal on two players. Please notify if I've forgotten something.

I know that I am prone to error both rulewise and with technology. If a recent error is made should we backtrack to that point or just play on? How recent is recent?

So, Syndicate (Mark) is first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mark: Thanks for the explanation, sounds like something I can handle

I would suggest we auto-backtrack if the error is caught by the next player who is doing an action other than passing.
If some gamechanginng error is caught at later stage, we can just talk about it and decide then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to make an email list for discussion and to let the players know who is next.

If everybody could send me an email.

drmark64@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my turn. M26 is up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Faanes
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Next is DR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gov is next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
castro next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.