• [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have to play with multiple crew members with 2. Generally recommended with 2 per person to start. Or at the very least 3 including the doctor that the 3rd card can be shared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dad vs Daughter playthrough gives you a pretty good idea of what it's like to play with two. They even encounter a couple of the timed missions so you can see how much easier/harder those are with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played several solo games to teach myself this weekend (3 characters) and had no problems. For the "No talking" effects, I just didn't use any of the characters' abilities.

I also played a 2 player with 2 characters each and it went very smoothly. The only hitches were during timed missions when it became a bit hectic and we got turned around on which CHARACTER'S turn it was (we alternated. I took turns 1 and 3, she took 2 and 4).

It plays fine as a two player or solo game, so don't let the 3-7 player notice on the box dissuade you.

If you like Elder Sign, you will like this. It is similar, without being a re-skin. It really is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who posted. I wish I had been armed with this info at GenCon and I would certainly have purchased the game. But since 80 percent of my gaming is 2-player, I didn't purchase, wanting to wait until I got some feedback. I never did find an empty table of this to take a demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
The Dad vs Daughter playthrough gives you a pretty good idea of what it's like to play with two. They even encounter a couple of the timed missions so you can see how much easier/harder those are with 2.

That nice video made it clear that I wouldn't want to play 2p with one neutral character. Remembering to pass it back and forth, while keeping the turn order consistent, would be too hard for me.

I could see playing with 2 characters each, and I would go me, me, you, you, to keep it as a simple clockwise turn order. But I really prefer not to have 2 avatars in games.

So I think I'll hold off unless/until someone develops a variant that allows 2 players to each just play a single character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:

That nice video made it clear that I wouldn't want to play 2p with one neutral character. Remembering to pass it back and forth, while keeping the turn order consistent, would be too hard for me.

I could see playing with 2 characters each, and I would go me, me, you, you, to keep it as a simple clockwise turn order. But I really prefer not to have 2 avatars in games.

So I think I'll hold off unless/until someone develops a variant that allows 2 players to each just play a single character.

Honestly, you could very easily. Just either increase the number of dice in the ship pool at game start (2 of each instead of 1 of each), and/or increase number of dice a player draws up to (normally 5, so maybe 6 or even 7... playtesting would be needed). Or, increase the maximum number of alerts per level to 4 instead of 3... but, that would be my last choice.

The drawback would then be; you are VERY limited in characters, so, you would probably ALWAYS be doing a doctor and more than likely a captain and never anyone else, unless you needed an even bigger challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gray
msg tools
mb
I ran into a problem the second time playing it where my son and I had all of our dice on the cards and no dice in the pool and were essentially stuck, so I wonder if having more people playing nullifies this sticking point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabelos wrote:
I ran into a problem the second time playing it where my son and I had all of our dice on the cards and no dice in the pool and were essentially stuck, so I wonder if having more people playing nullifies this sticking point.

According to the rules, you need to make sure to have an extra one of each die on Enterprise and available as dice pool if playing a 3 player game. If you are playing with only two characters and not 4 (2 each) I would even suggest a players' worth of starting dice in the Enterprise pool at start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think running out of dice is a great part of the game and needs to be left in it. It creates the need for resource management instead of resource splurging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
cabelos wrote:

According to the rules, you need to make sure to have an extra player's starting set of dice on Enterprise and available as dice pool if playing a 3 player game. If you are playing with only two characters and not 4 (2 each) I would even suggest 2 players' worth of dice in the Enterprise pool at start.

not a full set of dice. just one of each color if playing with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
cabelos wrote:

According to the rules, you need to make sure to have an extra player's starting set of dice on Enterprise and available as dice pool if playing a 3 player game. If you are playing with only two characters and not 4 (2 each) I would even suggest 2 players' worth of dice in the Enterprise pool at start.

not a full set of dice. just one of each color if playing with 3 or 4.

DERP! Yep. you are absolutely right and I knew that, but it was 5am when I posted this and I was really groggy. My mistake.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am correcting it in my initial post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played twice with only two players and two characters total. We started with one of each color die in the pool as with three characters. In both games we nearly ran out of dice and one player could not replenish at all or only grab one die. We won one of the games (both were trying for 12VP). The yellow alerts, which I often draw because of the VPs and card abilities, seem to take a lot of dice. Red alerts have very specific requirements, but seem to require fewer dice, so you might roll one match and end up leaving a die or two there for a while. All in all, die management goes from interesting to absolutely critical. Having even two more dice in the starting pool would probably have helped, so we'll try that next time.

That card that requires one each of 1 thru 6 is brutal when there are only thirteen dice in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.