Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone playing with kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Hi folks, I hear good things about this game but wondering if I can play it with my son or if it's too complex. He's a very bright 9 year old with great reading skills Thoughts on age range for the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Larsen

Lehi
Utah
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is my son is 7 and I can't wait for him to be just a little older so we can play this together. Fantastic game. But sorry no I don't have any advice regarding this but am also patiently waiting to play this with my boy someday

Travis
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I would be more leery about the violent (and in the case of the Dark Eldar, somewhat sexual) subject matter than I would about the game mechanics. How comfortable you are with the art on the cards depends a lot on your kid and yourself, though, so you'll have to make your own decision there (you can preview pretty much everything released at CardGameDB if you want).

Mechanically, Conquest is the simplest of the FFG LCGs. Really easy to learn/teach. The worst of it is the "action windows" and the timing involved there, but since you're not playing him in a tournament you can get a bit fast and loose there without affecting the game negatively.

There is a fair amount of strategic and tactical complexity lurking within the simple structure the rules lay out, but if he likes this sort of game then it would be well worth trying out because most of that doesn't really matter until you both have a few more playthroughs and start to grok the balance between command and battle conflicts along with how to best deploy to planets to ensure a win down the line. Good luck!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Skaak wrote:
Honestly, I would be more leery about the violent (and in the case of the Dark Eldar, somewhat sexual) subject matter than I would about the game mechanics. How comfortable you are with the art on the cards depends a lot on your kid and yourself, though, so you'll have to make your own decision there (you can preview pretty much everything released at CardGameDB if you want).

Mechanically, Conquest is the simplest of the FFG LCGs. Really easy to learn/teach. The worst of it is the "action windows" and the timing involved there, but since you're not playing him in a tournament you can get a bit fast and loose there without affecting the game negatively.

There is a fair amount of strategic and tactical complexity lurking within the simple structure the rules lay out, but if he likes this sort of game then it would be well worth trying out because most of that doesn't really matter until you both have a few more playthroughs and start to grok the balance between command and battle conflicts along with how to best deploy to planets to ensure a win down the line. Good luck!

Thanks, that's a really great point I hadn't even considered! I don't want to play it with him if the imagery is a little too gory/violent etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangecoke wrote:
Hi folks, I hear good things about this game but wondering if I can play it with my son or if it's too complex. He's a very bright 9 year old with great reading skills Thoughts on age range for the game?

My 8yo can play it. He prefers Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and Star Wars: The Card Game however. Warhammer 40k Conquest failed to fire those games.

I think it's great and your kid will probably like it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Cracky wrote:
Orangecoke wrote:
Hi folks, I hear good things about this game but wondering if I can play it with my son or if it's too complex. He's a very bright 9 year old with great reading skills Thoughts on age range for the game?

My 8yo can play it. He prefers Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and Star Wars: The Card Game however. Warhammer 40k Conquest failed to fire those games.

I think it's great and your kid will probably like it.

Cool I might try that one out (Pathfinder)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls