Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Muhammad Na'im
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I looked south and from a distance, I could see her raging flames. I can almost feel her fury. Chandra Nalaar... the famed Pyromancer. It doesn't take a Jace to know what's on her mind... she wants to duel. Can she stand up to me, Gideon Jura, the Champion Of Justice?

I charged south towards her. Impulsive as always, she charged towards me without much of a thought. She launched her attacks which missed. I gained confidence. I summoned a troop of Rhox Veterans to surround her. Groggy from summoning sickness, the rhino soldiers held their ground as I came face to face with her. I swung my sural and as it connected, I felt a third of her life-force leaving her. That didn't seem to faze her. Perhaps I have misjudged the situation.

Chandra summoned a pack of Blazing Firecats around us. One of them attacked me but failed to get through my armor. The other two Firecats attacked my rhino soldiers severely wounding the one that wasn't in battle formation. In quick succession, Chandra casted Flames of the Firebrand killing the wounded solider and bringing his comrade close to death. She took this opportunity to flee behind the ruins. We would not let her off so easily. The mighty Rhox Veterans and I strike back with a sense of justice, gravely injuring her as she left the engagement. She was furious and Chandra's Outrage spelled an end to another of the rhino veterans. I regretted holding back the various enchantments I had. She retreated out of sight just behind the ruins.

Two of my warriors have fallen. I would not stand to let any more to die. I secretly casted Battlewise Valor and Marked by Honor to the sole Rhox Veteran. I summoned the Kor Hookmasters near the ruins to chase after Chandra. Not wanting to repeat my mistakes, I enchanted them with a powerful spell. The Hookmasters detained the Firecats which allowed me to engage them with little resistance. I stepped forward to have all three cats surrounding me. While that might sound like a death wish, it is where the Avatar Of Justice draws his strength. With great confidence, I brought upon my avenging fist to the nearest Firecat. Alas, my overconfidence got the better of me as the attack did nothing.

Chandra summoned some Phoenixes to block the path of the Hookmasters as she retreated further. She attacked one of the Hookmasters from a far which triggered the Blessing enchantment on them. The Hookmaster defended without much trouble. They then proceeded to swiftly and meticulously dispose of the Phoenixes.

Meanwhile, the Firecats broke free of their detainment and began to attack me. Chandra casted Twinflame on one of them and its massive attack brought me to the brink of death. In quick succession, another Firecat pounced on me. In my anger, I countered the attack and instantly killed it. The last member of the pack failed to break my defenses.

I prayed for a miracle as I drew upon the next fragment of my library... I saw hope. It was indeed a Near-Death Experience and I gained back half my strength. And with it, I destroyed one of the Firecats and almost killed the other. "CHANDRA!!! Stop running and face me!"

Chandra heard my provocation. She casted Pyroclasm and sacrificed her Firecat to damage me. She finally reached the other end of the ruins... seething and waiting for the right time to strike. Her wounds were near fatal; she can not make a mistake...

One of my Hookmasters took control of the Movement Glyph while the rest doubled back to the other side of the ruins to face Chandra. They were ready to welcome her with blades wide open.

Chandra channeled her Fury. She blazed across the battlefield, avoiding the Hookmasters and was just close enough to launch her attack. I wasn't ready... my overconfidence was my donwfall... With a swift attack, she defeated me. She smiled as she looked upon my pathetic body lying on the ground. "Better luck next time..."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: This was my first playthrough with my wife. We have no MtG experience and we definitely made many bad plays. We had a lot of fun nonetheless and look forward to more plays in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you and your wife had fun playing. I played my first games last (played 2). I also lost...both times! LOL! But I was playing a 3-player game, so the balance was different. Both times I took out 1 planeswalker before I went down. And actually, in each game it was a different opponent. So maybe I can pretend I won 1 game since I did defeat both planeswalkers after all. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Chandra!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Na'im
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brad, how does the game play with 3? It seems like it might not be balanced and some kingmaking... Like while two armies fight, the third army can just drop in and take out someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow6 wrote:
Brad, how does the game play with 3? It seems like it might not be balanced and some kingmaking... Like while two armies fight, the third army can just drop in and take out someone.

I've only played 2 games, but yeah, it doesn't seem as balanced as it would have been with 2 or 4 or maybe even 5. Really both games I rushed in and attacked a player, leading to a 1-on-1 battle. Then the 3rd player swooped in and killed me. LOL. But honestly, if I had played smarter, like sent out squads first and gathered glyphs and what-not, things would have probably been different. They were still fun games. I don't want to judge the 3-player experience on just that, because again, I played really aggressively which basically forced a counterattack from the person I first attacked. That pretty much let the 3rd player sit back and watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gibbons
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh... rules thing here. Early on when she summoned her firecats, only ONE of them should have been able to make an attack. The rest wouldn't have been able to attack yet, as Chandra was the active figure. Woops!

We made so many mistakes our first time playing tonight and I've been on the BGG forums learning the rules myself, and already came across this. But we did notice when we played Gideon v Chandra ourselves tonight that the firecats do say that only "A firecat" (one) may make a haste attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a whole post written out contrasting the activation rules in AotP with the order marker activation in normal Heroscape, and discussing how the effects are different when it comes to games of 3+ players, then it occurred to me that each game round of AotP was really no different than an activation round in HS, except for the hand of spells.

So, carry on... >_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.