Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that "If a player has already placed all his depots on the game board, he may, if he wishes move one of his already placed depots."

The rules do not clarify this, but my assumption is:

1. A player can perform this action only on his turn.
2. He must either win or come in second on the auction.
3. He must be able to take/perform the action, and not take the share of stock.
4. The action taken depot (on the card) must be of the same color rail line as to where he intends to move his depot.

As previously mentioned, the designer did not clarify this; nor did any of the videos mention it. I tried to touch all the bases re: this rule, and it looks more complex than it should be. The answer probably lies somewhere in a part of my assumption; or possibly, the rule should be omitted entirely (as this probably will not occur in most games.) Any thoughts on this? Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Well, here's my understanding. Your 1. and 2. are correct. For 3, however, you can sell your stock, if you choose, or place a depot. So for 4 if you choose to place a depot, and you have none to place, then you can move one depot to any available spot. My take is that it does not have to be on the same (color) railway line.

EDIT: We've played a few games but have not had this happen yet. My thinking is that at that point in the game since you do not have any depots left to place then having the option to move a depot that might earn you a few more points at game end would be a suitable and fair choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Sheard
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it like you would still need to place your depot on that color rail...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I see what you're saying. So maybe moving a depot from any railway to the one indicated on the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Brody, and Steve - that is what I intended to portray, that you could move a depot from any rail line to the one indicated (by color) on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
That does make it more interesting especially if the game is close ( and ours have been except for the first one). I could see moving a depot from a spot where it gets 1 point to part of a railway where you have 3 already. Thus making 4 and then getting 4 for that depot. Would be a buggar for the player in first by 2 points ahead of you and because you moved a depot just before the stock market crash you win by 1 or 2. Kind of fun winning like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - I believe that if you have 3 depots on a rail line already, and add a 4th depot to that line, that would total 16 points (4 squared); and if you're behind by 2, you would then forge ahead by 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer99 wrote:
Steve - I believe that if you have 3 depots on a rail line already, and add a 4th depot to that line, that would total 16 points (4 squared); and if you're behind by 2, you would then forge ahead by 14.

You would forge ahead by 4 more than otherwise.

The three depots would already be worth 9 altogether, and the solitary deopt would be worth one. By moving the one depot to the line with the three, you get 16 instead. A net advantage of 6 (=16-9-1)

In you scenario, that makes up the 2 point gap and goes 4 beyond it. Of course, the gap is only virtual -- where you would have ended up when depots were scored at the end, if you hadn't moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pmagnus - very well put. You and Steve are both correct (me too), but I was just looking at it from a different angle. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.