Hide
6 Posts

Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents» Forums » Rules

Subject: Played for the first time - a couple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pingel
msg tools
1. For example, Tesla's ability allows his company to ignore the invention requirements when advancing technology. Would the company be Tesla himself? Or does it include any of the luminaries? I forget the specific situation we had last night but whatever it was it appeared extremely exploitative to allow his luminaries to use that ability. We ended up playing that the luminaries can use it but Tesla would become exhausted after using his ability.

2. You can advance down 2 more than one technology path if your luminaries have enough points to individually cover each path? For example, (I don't remember the stats of the luminaries without the game in front of me) If Edison had a enough points to advance over to Bulb II and luminary dude #3 had enough points to advance over to AC II, Edison can move over to Bulb II as his action and become exhausted then luminary dude #3 can move over to AC II and become exhausted. To me, it seems like a given that you can because these are separate actions for each luminary.

3. The rules say you can't buy and sell stock in the same company. Does this apply to your entire turn or does it apply to the individual luminary's action? We originally determined that it only applied to the individual luminary but that ended up being quite the exploit at the end of the game. What happened was the player who went last on the last round ended up selling all of his opponent's stock with one luminary and exhausting him then pulled up his next luminary and bought all of the opponents stock and exhausting him then used another luminary to sell them all again and exhausting him then he used his last luminary to buy all of his own stock after driving the price of his opponents stock below his own. He ended up buying all 10 certificates of his own stock and having more than double the score of second place.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Main mistake which answers your questions: you do ONE action, then the next player does ONE and so forth. You DON't do all your actions at once. So as the last player in turn order, you can't have multiple actions left like you describe them in question 3.

Question 1: the company is everybody, and as the card says: as long as Tesla has not been exhausted, his ability works for his luminaries who take an action (without exhausting him). But again, this is connected to your main mistake above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pingel
msg tools
Are you saying players can only take one action per turn or are you saying you can only do one of the 4 actions once?

Here's what the rules say under actions:

Quote:
The player whose marker is highest on the present fame track goes first and takes one of four actions:

This suggests you can only take one action per turn but then below that it says:

Quote:
Once a player has exhausted all of her luminaries, she cannot take any additional actions that turn. Continue taking actions until all players have exhausted all of their luminaries.

This suggests you do as many actions as you can on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A - player B - Player C - Player A - Player B - Player C and so forth...

One action each. There are four possible actions, that's what "one of four" means.

A turn is finished when all cards of all players are exhausted.

Pretty standard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pingel
msg tools
Dang it. It just clicked. I thought this whole time we went one turn each then the phase was over. That answers why you must exhaust a luminary to pass. It didn't make sense when you had only one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little mental trick that helps me explain the game is to say that:

* each Phase has two Turns
AND
* each Turn can have multiple "Rounds," up to as many as one per luminary.

The rules don't use those labels, but they seem to help get across the idea that each player can use ALL their luminaries, but only one at a time (except for technology advances.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.