Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm confused by pistol duels. A duel is supposed to end, and a winner declared, when one of the grognards is wounded. However, step 5 of pistol duels says the 2nd grognard can fire unless dead or gravely wounded. This means he can fire back if wounded, so long as it is not grave. So both grognards can end up wounded. If so, who is the winner? And how does magnanimity and fanaticism work for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dooley
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Honor has been satisfied by both gentlemen facing death bravely and shedding blood. Both can now leave the field honorably and be at quits over the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does that mean magnanimity and fanaticism are off the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dooley
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
It probably should mean exactly that, at least for purposes of this duel. Human nature being what it is, either combatant could lapse back into his "normal" behavior outside the confines of the duel.

The Code Duello required that wounded parties receive some prompt medical attention, however rudimentary it was, on the spot. So that effectively makes "magnanimity" mandatory and prevents "fanaticism" from being exercised. The seconds and the docs would bring things to a halt irrespective of the wishes of either or both. At least on this occasion. But there is always tomorrow...

Neither combatant could honorably interfere with the medical treatment of the opponent, regardless of who is the aggrieved party. And a gunshot wound goes a long way in quelling fanaticism for a spell.

I hasten to note that the above is a common sense interpretation based on some historical information. I would need to study the rules more closely to see if that prevails in the LOH version of reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.