Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am placing a larger order soon and will be adding a couple small cheaper games to the order. I have narrowed the list down to the ones I am interested in at this moment in time. Player count is not an issue as it is 2 to 7 players at varying times. So just choose which ever ones you like the most. laugh

Poll
Which games listed below are some of your favorite small box games?
For Sale
Get Bit!
Jaipur
Noir
Walk the Plank
Battle Line
Bohnanza
Good Cop Bad Cop
No Thanks!
Cockroach Salad
Mars Attacks The Dice Game
Red7
Loot
Martian Dice
Lost Cities - The Card Game
Age of War Dice Game
Coloretto
      137 answers
Poll created by tygerzroze
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why would you prefer to use a small subset of BGG users to see which games are preferred, when the rankings (or ratings) will give you the preferred games of many many more users?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Out of curiosity, why would you prefer to use a small subset of BGG users to see which games are preferred, when the rankings (or ratings) will give you the preferred games of many many more users?
I pretty much always do both, I like opinions and experiences on games, and ratings. I also really like polls, since the ratings are accumulative over time, and maybe a newer game with less votes replaces a higher rated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had an 'other' choice I'd recommend Seven Dragons or Rent a Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for several, but Battleline is by far what I would rate the highest. Red7 is a definite 2nd.
(For reference, I've played roughly half of these)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love small box games and yet I have only played Red7 and Jaipur from this list.

Gloom, Innovation, Arboretum, Parade, Coup, and Love Letter are some of the others we enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
We love small box games and yet I have only played Red7 and Jaipur from this list.

Gloom, Innovation, Arboretum, Parade, Coup, and Love Letter are some of the others we enjoy.

I have 2 love letters and Coup. Arboretum and Parade didn't make the list due to price $45+ right now, or out of stock, otherwise they would have been here as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how the box size correlates with the current prices, but we play these:
Innovation (2-3p for us), ONUWW (4-6p for us), Avalon (5-7p for us), Citadels (3-6p for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I'm not sure how the box size correlates with the current prices, but we play these:
Innovation (2-3p for us), ONUWW (4-6p for us), Avalon (5-7p for us), Citadels (3-6p for us).

Unfortunately the themes for ONUWW, Avalon, and Citadels would be a complete miss with most of the group I play with, they tend to shy away from fantasy in general. Innovation I have been interested in for a while to, so I may throw that in for consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If we get write in nominations, I'd put Yardmaster Express on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Eggs and Empires or Welcome to the Dungeon. We've been getting these to the table a lot lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
tygerzroze wrote:
Unfortunately the themes for ONUWW, Avalon, and Citadels would be a complete miss with most of the group I play with, they tend to shy away from fantasy in general.

What? Is there a theme in those? whistle

Citadels is quite straight-up role selection and economic building game, it does not feel at all fantasy to me. (The roles are Assassin, Thief, Magician, King, Bishop, Merchant, Architect, Warlord. All except Magician not fantastical at all, and magician's effect is quite this-worldly trickster as well.)

In ONUWW and Avalon there is a setting more than theme, the play totally revolves around the players. (It should be easy to de-emphasize the theme when describing the game to players.)

But, you know your players, so go with what you think will have a chance to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this poll is just going tell you which games have been played by the most people. Games like Good Cop, Bad Cop will inevitable lose to games like Lost Cities simply because way more people have played Lost Cities. There needs to be a box where you could check whether you have played the game (in addition to whether you would recommend them) to make this poll at all effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiderM9 wrote:
If you had an 'other' choice I'd recommend Seven Dragons or Rent a Hero.

My other choice recommendation is Four Tribes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to throw a name in it would be Koryŏ. Great game that is well rated, decently priced, and pretty readily available, but doesn't seem to have found a broad audience yet. Not great for 2 player, you really want 3-4. You'll want to print out the player aids from BGG if you get it.

(Or maybe its successor Chosŏn which builds on it a bit, but I haven't got to try it yet.)

Enjoy your new games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Pairs, too. And get the complete rule book from the web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Gray
United States
Astoria
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite small box game is Incan Gold. It is luck based, but provides the exact same chance to all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know cockroach salad, but Cockroach Poker is great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the two player space it's hard to beat Patchwork. Simple yet thinky abstract tile placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have For Sale and No Thanks is a deck box together. Great for gamers and non gamers as well and if you read the No Thanks page both can play 3-6 players which is awesome. I love bluffing games so I'm going to check out Cockroach Poker soon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:

I want Cockroach Poker, but it's a bit on the pricey side right now, I think when I last check Amazon it was about $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
tygerzroze wrote:
Maximuss wrote:

I want Cockroach Poker, but it's a bit on the pricey side right now, I think when I last check Amazon it was about $20.

Just checked. Around $16 with the shipping right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
tygerzroze wrote:
Maximuss wrote:

Just checked. Around $16 with the shipping right now.

If it is still that price when I place my order, I may get it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.