Zombicide» Forums » Sessions

Subject: City Blocks - fun and games in the big smoke... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Today we decided that we were going to have a quick game of Zombicide, just myself and my son.

We usually die on City Blocks, one of the fist and original maps for the game, so this is what we decided to go with this time.

The map was using components from Season 3. The plastic doors add so much more as well as the plastic tokens. They’re brilliant.

We also were using the combined spawn decks for all seasons and equipment decks. These are split into piles of four. It does not matter what tray you pick from, your choice and it gives an even more random element as well as practically making the cards easier to manage. Note that we don’t use noise tokens as they slow the game down – but we manually track where the noise is.

We had two teams of three that we were playing in sequential order. My son was using Sidelle, Tif and Laurie and I was using Chris T, Babydoll and Ada.

It did not take long for things to go wrong, in fact the first turn for Sidelle.

We have a house rule where if you want to search you roll a dice, if you get a 6 then that room is considered permanently empty. There is nothing more to find in that room for the rest of the game.
Sidelle hit Lucky 6 and ruined the first room for us. We placed the marker down to show that the room was empty.

We left the room and headed to a corner building. Luck was on our side and it only spawned one skinny walker. Never before had we had so many zero spawn cards in the zombie phase.

Over the next few turns we managed to empty out a room with another Lucky 6, get a double spawn of crows as well as Berserkers, a VIP, toxic and a Seeker.

Feeling cornered, we felt we needed to leave this building as it was fairly early in the game and we didn’t want to get trapped. The zombies had other ideas…

The battle raged well but it was in the zone shown above that Chris T gave his life so that Babydoll and Ada could escape. Here is where he died ( and didn’t rise again ). We don’t like the Zombivor rules.

We all ended up back in the corner building along with Bear! Yes, although we don’t like the Zombivor rules we do use them for the Lost Zombies.

Now I could not remember the rules for these chaps and the flyer was in the loft so we house ruled it. They have three turns per go and they can take five damage and are first priority when you attack. We use a die to keep track of the damage, rotating it once until it hits five when the Zombivor is dead.

By this stage we had found water and rice, but that building had also two of its four rooms completely empty. We had two rooms left and really needed to move on before the hoard caused a huge bottleneck outside.

Turn after turn they attacked as we tried to go forwards, somehow we were managing to stay alive through an incredible set of die rolls. It was like we were blessed…

We thought bravely but still they poured into the room, an endless stream of rotting flesh and small pieces of plastic vs the unstoppable blessed dice roll.

Although we had lost a room, Tiff now had killed five unique VIP zombies and got to pick a weapon from the pimp set.

While the cat waited for us to finish, taking our chairs as soon as we stood up…

…we continued to fight. We left the building for second time and went towards the larger building opposite.

The city was now a sprawling mess of zombies…

After a lot of turns standing between the two buildings where we stood and fought and lapped up the onslaught we were finally into a position where we could enter the building and clear it out but things were getting worse on the streets…

The zombies where bunching up and spawns were forming hoards as they moved towards us. At this point we had the Canned Food, Water and Rice. The plan was simple as the rules do not say everyone has to survive.

Babydoll as she had slippery would run towards the exit and the remaining four survivors would get the last two tokens…

After opening the final door of the large building and clearing the initial area, this looked like it was going to work. Babydoll was heading through the streets timing her moves to end her turns between zombies and praying for no extra activations…

The rest of the survivors fought and they did not stop fighting.

Lucky roll after lucky roll they hit but it was too much, they had to retreat back into the large building they had just left. This is where it ended as the luck run out and the zombies got an extra activation…

This is how it ended, this was the last breath for those that dared to try City Blocks…

…there was only ONE sole survivor, Babydoll. The victory was only partial as two tokens were still left on the board.

…unit next time another set of heroes enter the City Blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:
While the cat waited for us to finish, taking our chairs as soon as we stood up…

She did not jump on the table to knock everything over?
Lucky you whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report and great read!

BTW, where did u get the small card holders for the weapon and spawn cards? They look fantastic and just what I need. Are your cards sleeved? It's a little hard to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
It's admirable you didn't choose to restart the game as soon as that blasted 6 turned up before the first search. I would not be so inclined.

Ditto the great report & read.

( bright clear photos make following your escapade a breeze. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Culotta
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Where did you find the doors? Also I think its crazy how the first mission in Season 1 is probably the hardest in the whole game :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
zombie57 wrote:

She did not jump on the table to knock everything over?
Lucky you whistle

For once - no - but that has happened before as well was running off with a Zombie in it's mouth...

P14gus wrote:
Great report and great read!

BTW, where did u get the small card holders for the weapon and spawn cards? They look fantastic and just what I need. Are your cards sleeved? It's a little hard to tell.

They were ordered from Shapeways, a chap called Raid3D made them. They were very expensive and brought over a few months. However the Zombicide - Black Plague KS has these are at a very reasonable price... ...might be worth trying to jump onto that.

zwixxx wrote:
It's admirable you didn't choose to restart the game as soon as that blasted 6 turned up before the first search. I would not be so inclined.

Ditto the great report & read.

( bright clear photos make following your escapade a breeze. )

Hah!!! Yes, but at what point to do you stop resetting. We also play that if you do your turn you cannot change it if you make a mistake!

pantallicarox wrote:
Where did you find the doors? Also I think its crazy how the first mission in Season 1 is probably the hardest in the whole game :/

The doors are from the 3D Item Pack from Zombicide - Rue Morgue.

Probably available on Kickstarter...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zombicide-Season-3-Doors-and-Barri...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:

Although we had lost a room, Tiff now had killed five unique VIP zombies and got to pick a weapon from the pimp set.

Ooh, I hope you picked a good one! This is the first time I've seen someone playing my character, so that made it was extra exciting!

Thanks for sharing all the photos, now I want to go home and play... but alas, I still have adult-ing to do today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
wavsite wrote:
zombie57 wrote:

Ooh, I hope you picked a good one! This is the first time I've seen someone playing my character, so that made it was extra exciting!

Thanks for sharing all the photos, now I want to go home and play... but alas, I still have adult-ing to do today.

Oh wow!!! Hi Tiff!!!

Yes, you did and you did on more then once as well. Your character slaughtered many Zed's on during this game. You were on your third run of the skill bar by the time it was over... :O

What was not said on the write up, is we played for over three hours. We are not slow players either. We don't use the noise tokens for speed of gameplay, but we remember where it is - saves messing with loads of extra tokens as well and when two players play, it makes sense.

But yes, you can say that you died well and a blast was had by all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:
Yes, you did and you did on more then once as well. Your character slaughtered many Zed's on during this game. You were on your third run of the skill bar by the time it was over... :O

Ooh, that's cool, I've never gotten a character that high in skill points before! That was a loooooong game you had there...

zombie57 wrote:
But yes, you can say that you died well and a blast was had by all...

That's all that matters! I'm also slightly proud of the fact that your son picked my "official" character even though you seem to have a lot of cool custom-made ones to choose from. Hopefully that means "she" has some good skills that work well together!

And I really do appreciate the photos you posted of the doors in action. I broke down and got a set during the Rue Morgue Kickstarter, but we haven't used them yet. I was worried they'd clutter up the board, but they look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Giordano
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Thanks for the excellent session! Pardon a possibly stupid question, but where did you get the survivors Chris T, Ada and Babydoll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
justpushplay wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the excellent session! Pardon a possibly stupid question, but where did you get the survivors Chris T, Ada and Babydoll?

Hi THere - not a stupid question at all.

They're custom cards I've made. Not done any in a long time, but the dropbox share is still live and active.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4m3ukq1bz7585te/AABArJ7qi9FHc5rOb...

Here is an example one from that Dropbox...

If you want to make them like you see in the picture, here is a 100% start to finish guide...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1127812/custom-dashboards-h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Giordano
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent again! Thank you very much!

Thumb up