Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik R
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm new to the Game of Thrones LCG experience (I do own a LCG game in netrunner, though) and I'm really interested in getting it, however I'm a bit confused by the lack of draw deck in the core set after reading the rules.

The Tutorial Joust Setup tells players to setup with a 27 card draw deck. However, the deck building section says you need a minimum of at least 60 cards in your draw deck. On top of all this if you use the special "Out-of-the-Box Decks" your draw deck would still only consist of 51 cards, still short of the minimum required 60.

- Can you get a proper game experience with only 27 cards for the tutorial game? Can somebody get to 15 power or will the game always end early with somebody running out of their draw deck?

- If 60 is the minimum draw deck size, why isnt their enough cards to play at least a two-player game with in the core set? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The 27 card joust deck from one box set is really just a practice deck to get you used to the game rules. You'll typically run out of cards before you'll get to 15 power. If you want a longer more "normal" game, I would suggest using the 51 card decks for a two player game. Your much more likely to reach 15 power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have my set yet. Are you saying you can't make two 60 count decks using house specific characters, neutral characters, events and location cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
I do not have my set yet. Are you saying you can't make two 60 count decks using house specific characters, neutral characters, events and location cards?

Correct. There are only 20 cards from each house. You have to make "alliance" decks (lannister/tyrell) for example. There are enough neatral cards, though so you can have 20 neutral cards and 40 house cards (20 each of two houses) to make 60 card decks. Or you can make four decks for a four player game, but those will only have about 7 neutral cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig that will not work. even tho each faction has 20 cards, some are loyal and some are not loyal so you won't be able to mix them and get 40, it will be less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for Tournament legal decks (can only use cards from your house and non-loyal from the Banner house; 60 card deck size) then you can only get one out of a single core box.

However, as long as everyone's on the same page (which presumably you are if you're all using the same single box for your decks) then you can choose to ignore the official tournament structure and use the decks recommended by the rule book. These are 47/48 card decks which use the full set of cards for each of two factions, including both sets of loyals.

I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine this gives a large (and interesting) enough deck that it'll usually run to 15 Power rather than decking out. There are enough cards in one core for four such decks simultaneously (using just the recommended builds) and it wouldn't be too hard to swap the pairings around with a little bit of neutral and plot adjustment to get a large number more possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buckfuddr wrote:
Craig that will not work. even tho each faction has 20 cards, some are loyal and some are not loyal so you won't be able to mix them and get 40, it will be less.

If you only have one box set, you have to ignore the "legal" status if you want a playable deck. I believe the rulebook even mentions that you can ignore the loyal cards so that you have a working deck that will give you a long enough game to achieve 15 points, as opposed to the tiny joust decks they show that wont.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- Can you get a proper game experience with only 27 cards for the tutorial game? Can somebody get to 15 power or will the game always end early with somebody running out of their draw deck?

- If 60 is the minimum draw deck size, why aren't there enough cards to play at least a two-player game within the core set? Or am I missing something?

Question one: Tutorial games are not the full game. You'll learn the mechanics but obviously strategic depth will be lacking.
Question two: Card count limitations. There are 8 factions, really 9 with Neutrals, to cover in the core set. It necessarily has to be a mile wide and an inch deep.

Ultimately one Core Set is not intended to be the entirety of the game experience. With eight factions to cover there simply aren't enough cards in the box to provide a complete set of cards, this has been covered in innumerable other threads.

The purpose of the Core Set is to provide a foundation. It's a broad sampling of what the game is capable of, it gives you a lot of flexibility in Plot choices, a pretty good economic base, but the other purpose of the Core Set is to prompt ongoing purchases of additional product: it is a Living Card Game after all. So it's probably an actual requirement that it be palpably incomplete. If you don't leave your first couple of games saying "man I could do so much more if I just had more cards" then they've done their job.

And, also, the game is based on the assumption that each player owns the game and manages their own card pool--playing it for two people out of one box is pretty much only for tutorial games.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go back to trying to build ten demo decks out of three core sets, because that's how many people signed up for the event at my FLGS tomorrow ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls