Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate Goblins
Overview

Instead of having a bunch of Goblins to manage in each Tribe, I am going to suggest the following:
Each Tribe is just a number of Strength. If a Tribe successfully grows on a turn it gains 1 Strength. Each Tribe can range from 0 to 4 Strength (to make writing simpler the Claw Tribe will now just Attack and Defend with +1 Strength). In addition beyond 4 Strength there will be a place where the Tribe has gotten too large and it now a source of disasters but still fights at 4 Strength.

Instead of drawing many times from three different decks the Goblins will draw from a single deck. Disasters will be written out on their sheet and will happen when a certain number of icons appear on the cards.

Setup
Place your sheet down in front of yourself. Shuffle your deck and place your Tribes on their sheet.

Put one Cube on each Tribe. 1 of your Tribes starts out at 2 Strength, 1 Strength, and 0 Strength.

Turn
Draw

Draw up to 7 cards from the Goblin Deck. You may choose to stop after each card but you must draw at least 1 card a turn. When you stop you may choose cards to discard from this draw based on the Eye Tribe’s Strength.

Eye Tribe
1 Strength: No Discards
2 Strength: 1 Discard
3 Strength: 2 Discards
4 Strength: 3 Discards

Disasters
Some of the cards will have icons on the bottom. If you have pips on the bottom of your cards at this point you must resolve their disasters. When a Tribe has grown past 4 Strength it will also act as an icon for considering if a Disaster hits or not.

Claw: Infighting
Bone: Something in the Dark
Eye: Malaise

Malaise
1 Pip: All Tribes fight with 1 less Strength this turn. Tribes with Leaders are immune.
2 Pips: All Tribe fight with 1 less Strength this turn. Tribes with Leaders are immune. Discard your hand.

Something in the Dark
1 Pip: Choose a Tribe in hiding, that Tribe Scatters.
2 Pips: All Tribes in HIding Scatter. Tribes with a Goblin Ruby are immune.

Infighting
1 Pip: Choose a Tribe to move into hiding.
2 Pips: Choose a Tribe to Scatter.

War Cards
You may now pair the war cards with your Tribes. If you have enough cards every Tribe must receive a card. A Tribe may received 2 or more cards.

Add to the War Card the Tribe receives the number of Totems it has. If this number is higher than the Tribe’s current Strength the Tribe moves up 1 Strength.

If a Tribe receives multiple War cards and has the Swarm Totem, evaluate each card. In this way the Tribe can grow multiple Strength in a turn.

Monster Cards
You may place 1 monster into a Tribe. You have the following limits based on the Strength of the Bone Tribe. The Limit only affects placement. Monsters placed on previous turns stay with their Tribe. If you want to place a Monster in a Tribe that is already full and your limit allows that placement simply discard the old monster.

1 Strength: No Monsters.
2 Strength: 1 Monster on the Bone Tribe.
3 Strength: 1 Monster on all Tribes.
4 Strength: 2 Monsters on the Bone Tribe, 1 Monster on all Tribes.

Secrets Cards
Keep all remaining cards. Your hand limit is enforced at this point.

Eye Tribe
1 Strength: 1 Card
2 Strength: 3 Cards
3 Strength: 5 Cards
4 Strength: 7 Cards

Move/Attack
Your Tribes can now move. Tribes can move as many spaces as they wish. Generally Tribes will need to stick to Dark Tiles. Tribes can leave this many Lit Tiles per move. If they exceed the limit their Strength goes down 1. Tribes can lose multiple Strength this way in 1 turn.

1 Strength: Leave no lit Tiles.
2 Strength: Leave 1 Lit Tile.
3 Strength: Leave 2 Lit Tiles.
4 Strength: Leave 3 Lit Tiles.

The Tribe can ends its move by doing the following:

Nothing: You can just elect to end their movement wherever they end up. In this way you could move a Goblin Tribe partially through the light and wait until next turn to avoid losing Strength.

Exploration: By moving the Goblins off a Tile onto an area without a Tile, a new Tile is placed under them. This might allow you to connect the darkness so another Tribe can get through.

Treasure: A Tribe stopping may pick it up. Move the Tribe back into hiding. They gain the Totem of their choice.

Attack: Tribes can enter a space with the Knight if they have more Strength than the Knight. Doing this will cause the Knight to take a Wound and the Goblin Tribe to Scatter.

Note: The Claw Tribe always attacks and defends with 1 more Strength.

Hide/Reveal
If a Tribe did not otherwise go into Hiding this turn you can Reveal it by moving it to a Tile on the board. A Tribe can only be placed on a Dark Tile with the same symbol on it as that Tribe. A Tribe can also move into Hiding by moving off a Tile back to your Sheet.

If there are no Tiles to Reveal onto the Tribe can be placed off to the side of a Tile. That tribe is now Lurking and is still impacted by things that affect Hidden Tribes. On that Tribe’s next turn if it is still not on a Tile it may move onto the board and then stop moving for the turn. It is then no longer Lurking.

Other Rules
Scattering
Whenever a Tribe is attacked and as the result of certain events the Tribe will be forced to Scatter. Scattering is when the Tribe runs back to the dark losing several of its members along the way.

A Tribe that Scatters is returned to hiding if it already was not. Then it loses Strength based on this chart. It also loses 1 monster.

Current Strength Strength Lost
0-1 0
2-3 1
4 2

Piece Design
The Deck will have the following cards:

The Following War Cards
1 Strength (3 Normal, 1 Malaise, 1 Infighting, 1 Something in the Dark)
2 Strength (3 Normal, 1 Malaise, 1 Infighting, 1 Something in the Dark)
3 Strength (3 Normal, 1 Malaise, 1 Infighting, 1 Something in the Dark)
4 Strength (3 Normal, 1 Malaise, 1 Infighting, 1 Something in the Dark)

10 Monster Cards
10 Secrets card (Formerly Secrecy)

The Goblin’s sheet will need to change considerably. I will lay that out in a presentation.

Variants
The Bones Tribe instead of getting room for 2 Monsters could place 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Eidsvoog
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of simplifying the number of decks the goblin player has to draw from.

How would the Dragon's rules for eating goblins change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally there is interaction. I had the best intentions of writing it and then real life struck.

Knight Changes
Stalwart - Attack a Tribe with 2 or more Strength.
Bow - Same rules but your Strength must match the Tribe. Hitting the Goblins causes them to lose a Strength

Dragon Changes
All Attack - Make the Tribe Scatter or in the case of Scratch the Tribe is a complete loss.

The Dragon's sheet will need a place to track how many Strength of Goblins have been eaten. The Dragon will move a Sloth every 3 Strength eaten.

Events
Ambush - Choose a Tribe to gain 1 Strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player game last night and a 2 player game tonight with the new Goblins.

We combined things into one deck for the first game and that was not better. The flow of drawing all the cards from the same deck was terrible.

I split the decks back up but kept the rules for the Tribes being 0 through 4 Strength.

Tonight I played a 2 player game with Woelf. He played the Knight and I played the Goblins. I never felt I wasn't in contention but he won fair and square.

I need one more game to convince me but I am pretty close to sticking with it.

Night everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.