Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no modifier for the GB firing on Orange in squares normally, yet at the moment that Orange comes out of square the GB gets one counterattack with a +1 modifier. Does that seem consistent or have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carterjon wrote:
There is no modifier for the GB firing on Orange in squares normally, yet at the moment that Orange comes out of square the GB gets one counterattack with a +1 modifier. Does that seem consistent or have I missed something?
I believe, Jon, that the +1 modifier is supposed to represent the Grand Battery firing grape shot and canister at close range as Orange is advancing to attack the French line. I agree with you that it seems a little odd that the GB would not enjoy the same modifier if it was firing into tightly packed squares of Infantry. But because the modifier is only attached to the Counter attack ability of the GB, it can't be used unless Orange is taking an Action that the GB can counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that makes sense. The GB was certainly not in canister/grape range from across the valley. But am I wrong that when Orange simply comes out of square, ie does not advance, that the GB can do an immediate counterattack at +1? The back of the Orange card seems to imply that by saying the GB can counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carterjon wrote:
Thanks, that makes sense. The GB was certainly not in canister/grape range from across the valley. But am I wrong that when Orange simply comes out of square, ie does not advance, that the GB can do an immediate counterattack at +1? The back of the Orange card seems to imply that by saying the GB can counterattack.

The way the rules work, I would say that you are correct. To come out of Square the Allied player has to choose Orange to make an Action. So if they make an Action, GB could counter-attack. This may just be a little quirk in the rules and may not be intended to operate in that manner. Maybe Hannu (the designer) will answer this for us. I personally like the idea of tweaking the rules slightly and allowing the +1 modifier to be used for a GB Action against Orange when it is currently in Square formation. This would be consistent with the way it is for d'Erlon action against Orange while in square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The British squares were not in close range being fired on by canister, they were back at long range and mostly behind the ridge line.
The plus 1 modifier would be from advancing or open infantry and generally from the Dutch advancing in column as they were trained by the French (when they were allied prior to this campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls