Popular Tags: [View All]
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Had trouble getting started on our first go at this last night. The rules state that the novices make their first move which is a double move. Then they rattle the dice to check if they have made a noise. However they only rattle if either nun walked on their previous turn as denoted by their card played

As the nuns haven't had a turn yet they naturally have no cards down. Therefore am i right in assuming that after the novices have moved in the first round, they don't roll the dice to check if they made a noise. The first roll is actually made by the nuns provided they walked on their first turn, and if any novice is within range after appying the modifier they lay a token.

Only from the 2nd round and following would the novices then roll after their move to determine if more tokens should be placed.

Hope this makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Verwaest
Belgium
Hemiksem
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ from the author:
http://fredericmoyersoen.blogspot.be/2010/05/faq.html

1. In the first game-turn, do the novices roll for noise?
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The novices always roll a the end of the their phase. The guards only roll at the end of their phase if they walked.

See back of rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Thank you both for replying. I appreciate your efforts to answer my query. However, even though the author in the FAQS has stated that on the novices 1st turn they DO roll for noise, i can't see how how given the gameplay sequence. Indeed, it does state on the back of the rule book that the novices roll for noise, which is fine after round 1.

My problem is what happens during round 1? The novices take their turn BEFORE the guards, so at that point the guards have not played movement cards because they haven't started their 1st turn. The novices only roll for noise if the guards on their PREVIOUS turn played a walk card. This creates a paradox which the rule book does not explain, and i don't understand how the author can simply say yes the novices do roll on round 1 without expanding on the anomaly.

just wondering how folks overcome this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor wording of that rule (hence the FAQ). We should have expressed it thusly:

"Always roll for noise, unless on the previous turn, both guards ran. If only one guard runs, the other guard may still hear, and you must roll."

The FAQ is correct.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starman wrote:
The novices only roll for noise if the guards on their PREVIOUS turn played a walk card.

This is incorrect and would explain your confusion.

The NOVICES always roll for their movement at the end of their phase.
The only thing influencing this roll is the movement card the NOVICES played. Standing Still is a -3, Running is a -0, etc.

Each GUARD only rolls at the end of their phase if that GUARD played Walking. Each GUARD that played Running does NOT roll a die. These die rolls are also affected by the movement cards that the NOVICES played.

The movement cards that the GUARDS played have NO impact whatsoever on the NOVICES' rolls in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again folks many thanks for swift replies. Mike you have hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph:

"The movement cards that the GUARDS played have NO impact whatsoever on the NOVICES' rolls in the next round"

This now makes sense to me. I'd be interested to know if you deduced this yourself or gained the information elsewhere, as the rulebook page 4 under Roll for Noises explicitly mentions the guards previous turn.

Really appreciate the time you have taken to help me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is incorrect, I'm afraid.

Page 4, 3. Roll for Making Noise: "If either guard played her Walking card during the previous turn, you and the other novices must each roll the die (clockwise from the guard player). You apply the Noise roll modifier for the movement card you just played."

So yes, whether the guards walked or ran during turn 1 has an impact on the novices on their turn 2. The rules are correct here; the only clarification is the turn 1 novice turn, which is unfortunately not covered explicitly in the current rulebook. <furiously scribbles a note for the next reprint> To be clear, the novice's noise value is not affected by the previous guard roll; the requirement to roll is eliminated if both guards ran.

As the FAQ (http://fredericmoyersoen.blogspot.com/2010/05/faq.html) points out, although there is no turn 0 for the guards to have walked on, the novices are required to make a noise roll on their first turn. Had we written this line in the text shown above, it would also have covered the turn 1 scenario. That said, if either guard walks during turn X, the novices will roll for noise during turn X+1.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCulley
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Alex. So that the rules flow, may i suggest that in game set up the guards movement cards are displayed walk side up, with an additional note that although on turn 1 the guard player(s) have not physically had a turn the guards are deemed to be currently walking at game start.

Thank you for clarifying this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.