Popular Tags: [View All]
Andres Salazar
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For those interested in the history of the game Werewolf, I made this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see you started with Mafia... It was my litmus test for the video. Nailed it.

I've been playing since '95 and miss the days of good old fashioned Mafia with a deck of regular playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
I'm happy to see you started with Mafia... It was my litmus test for the video. Nailed it.

I've been playing since '95 and miss the days of good old fashioned Mafia with a deck of regular playing cards.

Why do you miss them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Why do you miss them?

I think I liked how much simpler the game was... and it felt like something new, under the radar. I love Werewolf, but I miss Mafia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Why do you miss them?

I think I liked how much simpler the game was... and it felt like something new, under the radar. I love Werewolf, but I miss Mafia.

Sounds indicative of the group more so than the game. There are groups, online and in-person, that tend to prefer simpler games. BGG is not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
fyi: in your quote at the end, you mispelled "just" as "jsut".

Interesting, did not know the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

You should run a Princeton Mafia game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Why do you miss them?

Sounds indicative of the group more so than the game. There are groups, online and in-person, that tend to prefer simpler games. BGG is not one of them.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love the deeply complicated games here on BGG... I just enjoyed the simplicity of GOOD v. Evil that Mafia offered. The underground feeling of a game that used a regular deck of playing cards. It was unofficial.

It's that feeling you have when you realize that cool thing you did to be unique is now a mainstream thing...

I love what it's become, but I also miss what it was. I'm a paradox like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

You should run a Princeton Mafia game.

Yeah, I played with some of these roles...

I just make myself sound like an old fart when I wax poetic about the old days. Ignore me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the deeply complicated games here on BGG... I just enjoyed the simplicity of GOOD v. Evil that Mafia offered. The underground feeling of a game that used a regular deck of playing cards. It was unofficial.

It's that feeling you have when you realize that cool thing you did to be unique is now a mainstream thing...

Perhaps it's a form of selection bias? I strongly avoid the complicated games here, opting mostly for the no-reveal 9er, plus the occasional "perfect" 11. Compared with these two games, I don't miss the old blind-leading-the-blind days of mafia.

(I do wax nostalgic about those old groups though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Perhaps it's a form of selection bias? I strongly avoid the complicated games here, opting mostly for the no-reveal 9er, plus the occasional "perfect" 11. Compared with these two games, I don't miss the old blind-leading-the-blind days of mafia.

(I do wax nostalgic about those old groups though)

Yeah, maybe it's the groups I miss... Ahh, Mafia days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Salazar
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for taking the time and watching.
Took me too long to edit that.

I actually played a game of the original Mafia game. It is very hard. There's more mafia in the group and the town does not go to sleep at night, everyone writes a name down, it's different but I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Why do you miss them?

My apologies, I misunderstood. I totally see what you're saying now. That makes a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.