United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one day after the Pro Football Hall of Fame inducted its Class of 2015, Hall of Famer Frank Gifford has passed away at the age of 84, just a week before his 85th birthday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pro-footba...

The USC alum played receiver and back for the New York Giants before becoming part of the famous broadcast team for ABC's Monday Night Football, with Howard Cosell and Don Meredith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll remember him best for being caught cheating on his wife. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good guy overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I think I'll remember him best for being caught cheating on his wife. Good times.

I hope your life will be remembered for the good things you did, not the bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
He was a pretty damn good broadcaster to have calling big games. Until recently, a good former player turning into a good broadcaster seemed pretty rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

If my life is remembered for anything I will be (figuratively) quite surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

If my life is remembered for anything I will be (figuratively) quite surprised.

Do you think so little of your family and friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about not thread jacking.

I am old enough to remember him doing broadcast. He was solid, but I likely didn't appreciate how good he was until later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
One of 11 former USC Trojans in the NFL Hall of Fame (the most of any university).

This is what I think is the most amazing stat of his career. The guy ran for 34 TDs, caught 43, threw 14 and kicked 2 field goals. As successful as the Giants have been as a franchise winning multiple Superbowls he still holds at 77 the team record for career touchdowns 50 years after retiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, he was a terrific and underrated player. He made the Pro Bowl at three different positions: halfback, flankerback, and defensive back! He also returned kicks and threw 14 touchdown passes in his career, the most by a non-quarterback in NFL history. He was a tremendously talented and versatile athlete and arguably the greatest NY Giant player before Lawrence Taylor showed up.

Although we all remember him fondly from his days on Monday Night Football, he was not a particularly good play-by-play man. After all, his nickname of Faultless Frank was intended to be ironic. His main skill, however, was controlling the chaos in the MNF booth and keeping Cosell and Meredith from murdering each other. Keith Jackson, a great play-by-play guy, couldn't deal with it; MNK didn't really click until Gifford replaced him and made the craziness work.

He may have been miscast doing play-by-play; after all, he did know football and possessed some broadcasting skills. I remember seeing him on CBS, soon after he retired in '64. He had a regular feature prior to the games, in which he sat in a booth, played tape from the previous week, and analyzed the action and what to look for in the games to come. He was excellent at that and able to clearly illustrate and explain more obscure football concepts. He probably would have made a good color announcer, but instead found fame leading the MNF broadcasts.

He had a long and good life and accomplished a tremendous amount in his 84 years. We should all be so lucky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Many moons ago (back in the Joe Montana era) I attended a MNF game at Candlestick Park. Our seats were below the announcers booth and we could look up and back and see the three guys in the booth. Just as the game starts someone hangs a big banner off the second deck that reads "Howard's A Puke!". About 10 minutes later here comes security for the banner. The crowd booed as they took it then before starting to chant "Howard's A Puke!" apparently loud enough that you could make it out on the broadcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.