7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hill Folk - How is this not in the FAQ yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a game where I had the rare opportunity to get the "run" of three Hill Folk at Silverhold (I don't go fishing in the supply decks, so for me it's just a matter of whether they come up in any given game), which caused me to ask that classic burning question, does their special ability mean that three Hill Folk gives you +1 Fight (because the rule doesn't say +1 per person), or +3 Fight (because the rule is on each card)? I figured for sure there would be an entry in the FAQ, or at least a thread here with a conclusive answer. All I found was this thread, and while there does seem to be a majority opinion, it's far from conclusive.

I'm really surprised this hasn't shown up in the FAQ yet, since I'd call it one of the most vaguely-worded special abilities in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AIUI it applies to each card separately. If you have three Hill Folk in your crew, then "when you have at least 3 Hill Folk in your crew" is true for each of them and they each get the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with that. Although I can see that the phrasing might be stronger, the special ability on the card belongs to the individual Crew member, not the "player," so it would be repeated per number of Crew members.

Consider also that Elder Gommen offers a variation in that he's a Hill Folk but does NOT get a bonus from working with other Hill Folk. To me, that variation removes any remaining ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised at this question and subsequent debate. I've never encountered any doubt on the issue of applying to each card what each card states--in this case, that's +1 weapon skill per hill folk that have said bonus written on their card when 3 or more are in your crew.

Consider every other card in the decks. Each card's effect is applied when the conditions are met for that card.

Take a look at Scrappers from the base game. Each scrapper receives the benefit of his/her individual ability when the conditions are met (successful salvage op) whether he or she is a mechanic or a pilot. So if you've got three scrapper mechanics or three scrapper pilots, or a mix of both, each one produces a bonus upon completion of a salvage op, as their individual card states. Why would Hill Folk be treated differently?

Head Goons are mercs that were added with Breakin' Atmo & Blue Sun and have a similar mechanism. Each head goon gains +2 negotiate when you have 3 or more mercs in your crew. There are only two of said dudes in the game and on different supply planets.

Finally, Hill Folk are hardly worthwhile unless you nab 3 of them. Even with 3 of them, adding the bonus to each who has it on their card, they're lacking in key words, are all moral, and one of the most powerful among them has further limitations (Elder Gommen--who amounts to a weaker version of Shepard Book). The only thing that makes going for three of them worthwhile with bonuses added to each accordingly, in my opinion, is that they're free cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But on the rare occasion that you can get the right combo -- Elder Gommen, The Patron, and Stark, say -- it's one of the cheapest "quality" combos in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
But on the rare occasion that you can get the right combo -- Elder Gommen, The Patron, and Stark, say -- it's one of the cheapest "quality" combos in the game.
Agreed, no doubt. However, this↑ is more rare than getting Simon & River together on one ship.

And still not a top quality combo at $300 for 3 all moral crew slots taken with 4 fight, 3 negotiate, and only one keyword. I'd rather have Doralee over Stark though, as she provides another useful keyword in lieu of a single fight skill. Chances are, you'll already have some potent weaponry from Silverhold if you manage to nab either of those combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friend likes to shop at silver hold so this comes up a bit we always apply it to each individual card. So 3 hill folk = +3 fight (obviously only the standard hill folk with this ability)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls