Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
In 32.32 the rules explain about the Balance of Power used to see if you can go to war.

If the Balance of power is at +3 for the Axis, then they get to add plus 3 to their threshold requirement. However, does that only apply only to the Axis or does it convert to a -3 for the Allied Threshold requirement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
The threshold requirement is always zero for both sides.

A favourable BOP helps the favoured side to meet this requirement, as the margin is added to its score. That is, a pro-Axis +3 BOP gives Germany a +3 to their score towards meeting the threshold requirement of zero, and a -3 to the Allies:

32.32 BALANCE OF POWER: The ability of Germany, Britain and France to declare war is modified by the overall Axis-Allied balance of power.

A. The Axis-Allied balance of power modifies the ability to declare war on a 1:1 basis (a +1 balance of power advantage gives the favored side a +1 towards declaring war; a +2 balance of power advantage gives the favored side a +2 towards declaring war; a +3 balance of power advantage gives the favored side a +3 towards declaring war, and so on).

B. If the Axis-Allied balance of power favors the Axis, German declarations of war are easier and Allied declarations of war are more difficult. Similarly, if the Axis-Allied balance of power favors the Allies, German declarations of war are more difficult and Allied declarations of war are easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying with the above quote. But where does it state that the other side applies the Balance of Power as a negative? I don't think it states that it just implies it.

It makes sense to do it that way though as that's how we played it.

Also, where does it state the threshold requirement is a zero? In 32.42 it states that Germany must be at least at +1.

I could not find where it states what the threshold value for the Allies is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read 32.32B as the indication of how the other side will treat an unfavourable BOP to its own Declaration of War calculations, though this is supported by the sections regarding the requirements for each major alliance:

32.42 GERMAN DECLARATIONS OF WAR ON THE ALLIES: Germany may declare war on Britain and France if the net total of the following modifiers is at least +1 with respect to both countries. Germany may not declare war on only one of Britain or France; it must declare war on both or neither.

A. BALANCE OF POWER: The overall Axis-Allied balance of power.

32.43 GERMAN DECLARATIONS OF WAR ON RUSSIA: Germany may declare war on Russia if the net total of the following modifiers is at least +1, provided the Nazi-Soviet Pact has not been signed and Germany controls either Poland or the Baltic States:

A. BALANCE OF POWER: The overall Axis-Allied balance of power.

32.71 RUSSIAN DECLARATIONS OF WAR: Russia may declare war on Germany if the net total of the modifiers in 32.72 is at least +1, provided the Nazi-Soviet Pact has not been signed and at least one of the following conditions is met:

32.31 talks about the need to exceed the threshold requirement to declare war, and the factors that are taken into account when calculating whether a major power has met the threshold requirement, not the threshold requirement itself. Combine the reading of 32.31 with the rules quoted above, and it should follow that the threshold requirement is zero.

There is no equivalent statement that clearly states the same for the Allies (i.e. "net total of the following modifiers is at least +1") in 32.62, though this requirement should also apply to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gary,

I'm very confused by what you wrote.

Doesn't the following:

"32.43 GERMAN DECLARATIONS OF WAR ON RUSSIA: Germany may declare war on Russia if the net total of the following modifiers is at least +1..."

mean that If you add up all the modifiers you have to be at least at plus 1? So +1 or higher means they can declare war (Higher meaning +2, +3, +4 etc).?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct in your understanding that Germany can only declare war if the net total of the modifiers is +1 or higher.

In my earlier reply, I was trying to answer the query about why the threshold requirement (that is, the absolute bar to meet for a major power to declare war) is zero. The ability of a major power to declare war depends on the threshold requirement, and its score from the relevant modifiers compared to this requirement. The rules do not explicitly state what the value of this threshold requirement is, though they do state that a major power can only declare war if the net total of its relevant modifiers is +1 or higher. Hence, it follows that the threshold requirement is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are quite convoluted on that point, but I agree with Gary :

The threshold calculated value must be strictly positive (>0) to declare war. Tha rule is true for all countries ; only the rules to calculate this threshold differ.

The BOP is added to the German threshold.
The BOP is subtracted to the French and British threshold.

The BOP is not considered for the russian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.