Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that there is likely little reason a seasoned group of players would run into this, but...

If a the last card of a period is drawn, and empty spaces still exist on the queue, do the players drawn from the next period deck even if they haven't purchase all the support tokens for the preceding period?

I didn't see a prohibition against this in the rules covering the Lantern Phase, but assuming the positive period cards are more powerful than the preceding deck, and the game prohibits purchases of the tokens of that era, it seemed off.

By the way, I had my first (solo) experience of this today running two characters: the conductor and station master. For the first few rounds I was experiencing some serious buyers remorse, as I didn't much care for the non-threaded, action phase structure, but by the end I was really engaged. I still feel the game is a bit overpriced for what it is (I picked up the expanded edition with wooden bits and extra cards, which ran me about $75 on Amazon), but I'm happy to have it in my collection and can't wait for the expansion!

Oh, and I got stomped into the ground at the end of round 6. I still had three support tokens to purchase, and the Lost card was over run by 3 cubes, or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy. Thanks for the kinds words. You can not access resources from the next era until you progress into that era, this includes cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a the last card of a period is drawn, and empty spaces still exist on the queue, do the players drawn from the next period deck even if they haven't purchase all the support tokens for the preceding period?

I didn't see a prohibition against this in the rules covering the Lantern Phase, but assuming the positive period cards are more powerful than the preceding deck, and the game prohibits purchases of the tokens of that era, it seemed off.

You might want to look at the rules again. Because they do specifically say you don't move on to the new cards until you clear out the support levels.
You might be missing other important things too.

I realize you're now engaged in Noodling with the rules and not really playing, which is where questions like this come from.

As an actual player, you'll see that you pretty much cannot exhaust the cards from a period deck before getting the support levels and have any chance of winning. Those new slave cards put a finite limit on how long the game can last, and if you're spending so much time buying cards, you won't be moving enough slaves to Canada to have a chance to win.

Support tokens are nebulous, and the hardest thing to remember to buy early on, because you get "nothing"for them on game terms... Except you can't win without them. That's part of the delicious tension that make the game a real keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Quote:

You might want to look at the rules again. Because they do specifically say you don't move on to the new cards until you clear out the support levels.

I didn't say the rules didn't cover this. Rather, and you even quoted it, I said the rules covering the Lantern Phase do not cover this. I wasn't in the mind to reread the manual from cover to cover, though I am aware a prohibition against acquiring tokens from locked periods is explicitly covered.

Here is that section of the rules, with the relevant element bolded:

Rules wrote:
During the Lantern Phase the Abolitionist Card Queue is restocked for the following round. First, discard any card that is in the right most space in the Abolitionist Queue. For 1 or 2 players, discard any cards in the two right most spaces. A General or Reserve Card is simply discarded. An Opposition Card will state if it is resolved when removed and discarded. Then slide any remaining cards to the right and draw new cards to fill in the now-empty spaces, starting with the right- most empty space.

When filling the Abolitionist Queue, only one new Opposition Card from the deck may be added. Any Opposition Cards already in the queue remain. If the player draws more than one new Opposition Card they are placed to the side. Once the queue is full, take any Opposition Cards set aside and shuffle them back into the Abolitionist Period Deck currently being used. In the rare case there are only Opposition Cards remaining, they are placed in the queue.

Once the Abolitionist Queue has been filled, the game’s Victory Conditions are checked. If the game is not ended, pass the Player Lantern Token clockwise to the next player. A new round begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you hit a new "phase" by buying all of the support tokens for one phase, are the cards in the abolitionist queue wiped and new cards for the new deck are set out from that new phase? Or do you just fill in the gaps with the new deck.

We play you wipe the queue (as long at it is during the planning phase NOT the action phase), and the game is still outrageously hard, and we love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You leave any cards already face up. You just no longer draw new cards from the pile for the previous period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls