Popular Tags: [View All]
Eyron BlackRed
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
What a great game and system!

What happend when routed unit pass pre-shock TQ (Charge)? (It can pass it on roll 0-1, right?)
There is only mentioned, that unit is elimited immediately when suffers another cohesion hit...

Example:
Routed Phalanx is attacked by moved LC and pass the charge (LC doesn't roll pre-shock TQ because attacking routed unit). Then normal shock procedure occurs, right? Routed unit inflict hits as well, right?
And what happend when the hits are applied?
As per 10.15, if the attacking LC unit get more hits exeeds its TQ routes and the attacked Phalanx unit is still routed and nothing more happens?

Thanks for answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel S
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The unit that fails by the most differential between the die roll and TQ is the one that routs. Tie goes to the attacker, I believe. I don't have the rules handy so you may want to verify that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyron BlackRed
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, guys, but I'm still confused as before :-)

If routed unit is eliminated after shock, is it possible to attacking non-routed unit can rout too?

If routed unit is eliminated after shock, only reason to proceed all shock procedure is to calculate hits for attacking non-routed unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
flag msg tools
While there is some ambiguity as to when Routed units get eliminated, I would play out the entire Shock Procedure to include the Collapse tie-breakers. The Collapse step is when other like units, that are eliminated when they rout, are removed from play. If they win the tie-breaker they'd be given 0 hits, TQ-1.

It has been very rare, before the new LC exception at least, that the Attacker does not have Attack Superiority on Routed units since they usually turn and flee to their Retreat edge. It is only when they don't, is when the routed unit might survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Brezina
Czech Republic
Brno
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
the thing is, that the rule 10.26 (last bulletpoint) says

Routed units that incur any additional Cohesion Hits are
immediately eliminated and removed from play

It says immediately, which I would say means, you apply the cohesion hits and the routed unit is immediately destroyed (as only one hit is enough) and then you would check for collapse. But it doesn´t make sense, when the defender is destroyed.

so I would say:
if the cohesion hits are less then TQ, then it´s fine
if the cohesion hits are equal TQ or more, then what? would it rout? it doesn´t make much sense, since it destroyed the defender. my guess is it would get TQ-1 hits, but it´s only assumption, can´t find anything about this in RB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`ll chime in. In my experience, whenever Routed unit was attacked it usually spelt elimination for Routed unit. It has TQ of 1 and usual average combat result is 2/2. This means that Routed unit will usually cross their (new) TQ of 1 to the greater extent that attacker will.

So let` say that Routed hoplite is attacked by LC. Regardless of the angle and superiority or not, we have to compare the hits both units end up with after a combat. If LC will have more hits than its` TQ but if it has less hits above its` limit than Routed unit has, than LC stays on TQ-1.

LC, TQ of 5, fought with (Routed) HO, TQ of 1. After a combat LC has, let`s say, 7 Cohesion hits. HO unit has 3. Both exceed their TQ level by two. Rules say in such cases that attacker stays/"wins"/advances (with hits on TQ-1). This is the result most often seen, I`d say.

There are no explicit sections of the rules telling what happens in such combat, but it only means that regular rules are to be followed.

You are right in saying that Routed unit needs only one hit to be eliminated. In rare occasions when Routed unit passes the TQ check it means that they`ll bite back and attacker will suffer some hits. In my games it usually meant 2 hits more for the attacker and it never resulted in Rout for the attacking side - no unless there was more than one Routed defender involved in this particular combat (the rules about applying cohesion hits when more than one unit on both sides are involved). What Tobrukker said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls