1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Millenium Falconfly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick view of the ship i'm building. Creating a template at hte same time so it's taking a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Millennium Falcon is 85 feet long and 65 feet in beam. Serenity is 190 feet long. Volume varies as the cube, so a Firefly should have several times the cargo space of the YT-1300, even allowing for differences in configuration.

Still, I make allowances for playability, otherwise where the hell does the Interceptor have all that room?! I'd give the MF 4 cargo and 2 stash and make her very fast. Essentially like the Interceptor but without the restriction that ship mods slow her down. Possibly allow her a crew of 5-6.

Oh, and the deck-mounted gun comes standard. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bozbacca wrote:
A quick view of the ship i'm building. Creating a template at hte same time so it's taking a while

(Imageid = _ _ _ medium )

Since the MF is taken, why not call this one the Picosecond Sparrow ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or Centenial Hawk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaintExupery1 wrote:
The Millennium Falcon is 85 feet long and 65 feet in beam. Serenity is 190 feet long. Volume varies as the cube, so a Firefly should have several times the cargo space of the YT-1300, even allowing for differences in configuration.

Still, I make allowances for playability, otherwise where the hell does the Interceptor have all that room?! I'd give the MF 4 cargo and 2 stash and make her very fast. Essentially like the Interceptor but without the restriction that ship mods slow her down. Possibly allow her a crew of 5-6.

I have some ideas about how to balance it and set it up. I'll update it later if I get a chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaintExupery1 wrote:

Oh, and the deck-mounted gun comes standard. :cool:

although I suspect the capacity of a Firefly would be greater, how much of that length is taken up by the bulb of the engine and the neck/bridge section...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
anevilgiraffe wrote:
SaintExupery1 wrote:

although I suspect the capacity of a Firefly would be greater, how much of that length is taken up by the bulb of the engine and the neck/bridge section...

Actually apparently the size of the falcon is open to some debate. One source I found says it's longer than serenity so I don't think that will factor much in my decisions about capacity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that we're talking media-SF tech, I think the only real basis for speculatoin is cargo per crew size. The Falcon runs happily with a crew of two, while a Firefly needs at least three or four, which suggests a smaller hold on the Falcon. (And possibly a custom engine upgrade to make it faster.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that's a bit complex to look at it's based off entirely different Sci fi technology. Hyper drives maybe don't need a mechanic to operate at all times as repairs are done on land. Whereas serenity needs a bit more love seeing how it's a bit cobbled together to keep running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Falcon always breaks down in space. If we were statting Star Wars crew, too, I believe Artoo and Chewie BOTH have the Mechanic keyword -- and the Falcon needs 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crew are my next step. Where can I find your updated leader template gwek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only on my hard drive right now.

Do you have access to my Dropbox folder with templates? If so, I'll try to update it tonight. If not -- assuming you have dropbox access -- PM me with the appropriate e-mail to invite you at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've pm'd you. Going to try and finish this ship and the template tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

Thought about doing this (as I suppose everyone has) because I have a MicroMachine Falcon that's not doing anything useful right now. But for some reason it just didn't seem right. Can't explain exactly why. Maybe it's just too iconic. Everyone knows the Falcon. The other MicroMachines I've used are from Alien or Starship Troopers, and an obscure Star Trek ship. I guess the same reason I haven't used any Federation ships.

That said, it didn't stop me from playing around and putting together a Red Solo character. At some point, I'll figure out how to upload images here and share that. By the way, HUGE thanks to everyone here who've done cards, as I've used many of them as the basis for conversions.

The Falcon "hotel" pieces from the Star Wars Monopoly game might be a good size. Also if you could source one from the Star Wars Battleship game. Fantasy Flight will soon be releasing a set of small transports for the Armada game, and it will include ships like the Falcon, Slave 1, etc., and would be a good source for some extra ships. http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Rogues_and_Villains_Ex...
Those bases are about an inch in diameter.

For the record, if you haven't tried it, Armada is a really fun game. I recommend it highly.

Name-wise, I've used the Aluminum Falcon for my version, and a generic futuristic space shuttle for the mini.

I'm also a huge fan of the "Millennium Enterprise".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bozbacca wrote:

Actually apparently the size of the falcon is open to some debate. One source I found says it's longer than serenity so I don't think that will factor much in my decisions about capacity

Not a chance. 85' x 65' was the dimensions of the full-size Millennium Falcon exterior built for The Empire Strikes Back. J.J. Abrams built his MF like the real deal, with the interior set actually inside the exterior.
cool
Joss didn't build a full-sized Serenity exterior, but he did have full-size interiors built; one continuous set for the upper deck from the bridge all the way back through the galley to the engine room. The lower deck was built as a separate set that included the cargo bay with the catwalks to the shuttles, infirmary, and passenger quarters. The sets were based on an assumed exterior dimension of 190 feet. Knowing what a nut he is for Star Wars in general, and the Millennium Falcon in particular, it would not surprise me at all if the fact that Serenity is exactly twice as long as the Falcon was no accident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaintExupery1 wrote:
Bozbacca wrote:

Not a chance. 85' x 65' was the dimensions of the full-size Millennium Falcon exterior built for The Empire Strikes Back. J.J. Abrams built his MF like the real deal, with the interior set actually inside the exterior.
cool
Joss didn't build a full-sized Serenity exterior, but he did have full-size interiors built; one continuous set for the upper deck from the bridge all the way back through the galley to the engine room. The lower deck was built as a separate set that included the cargo bay with the catwalks to the shuttles, infirmary, and passenger quarters. The sets were based on an assumed exterior dimension of 190 feet. Knowing what a nut he is for Star Wars in general, and the Millennium Falcon in particular, it would not surprise me at all if the fact that Serenity is exactly twice as long as the Falcon was no accident.

Apologies I misread the article. I probably still won't give it much thought as balance outweighs theme in this case for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually already have the falcon ship already. I bought a little model at a carboot at the weekend it's a good size for The game but it's obviously not to scale but that'd be too tiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Do you know the original source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Sweet. Do you know the original source?

I have no idea, and a simple google won't help at all as all it says on it is LP96. So its a mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Found the picture of it. It's from old star wars micro machines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bozbacca wrote:

I probably still won't give it much thought as balance outweighs theme in this case for me.

I agree 100%. MF is smaller than a Firefly, but using the mathematical ratio simply does not make the ship playable. I would give her less cargo & stash than a Firefly, but not less than half, and possibly a reduced crew. For upgrade slots, parts for a smaller ship are smaller, so a drive and three slots is still valid.

As far as performance, most ships start the game "stock" (Artful Dodger being the exception), whereas when we meet the Falcon... Well, Han says it himself, "I've made a lot of special modifications to her, myself." A stock YT-1300 would be as above. In my mind, "the fastest hunk-o'-junk in the galaxy" would have a range 6 drive (though possibly not the Enhanced Graviton Accelerator(Osiris - Range 6, mosey 2), which does not break down), the Overcharged Grav Thruster (Regina - +1 to full burn range) and the Modded Fuel Catalyzer (Meridian - spend an additional fuel to add +2 to full burn range). "She's fast enough for you, Old Man."

(As mentioned before, I would put the Hull-Mounted Flak Gun (Meridian) in the third slot)

For the last bit of "edge" I'd give Han the same +1 to full burn range that Wash has; giving the Falcon a max speed of 10 per turn (and she'd better carry a lot of spare parts).

Han would obviously have the pilot keyword, and possibly also the mechanic keyword (he's awesome) He is handy with a gun, but he's such a motor-head I'd probably give him 2 tech and 1 fight. I thought of allowing him to add +2 tech to breakdown rolls, or to re-roll tech checks, but his inability to fix the Falcon in TESB is pretty damning.

If Han doesn't also have the mechanic keyword, then Chewbacca would (although bashing energized equipment with a wrench argues against it, the Han & Chewie pair must be able to Crazy Ivan). He might also have 2 fights and a tech, or possibly one each fight, tech and negotiate (he can be VERY persuasive, just not with energized equipment).

Food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Updated version. Just playing with it at the moment. Thinking the illegal good only might be a bit theme breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given it some thought and I quite like my design here but going to get rid of the illegal goods only requirement on the stash. Range 6 engine keep crew to six. You got something similar to the dodger bit more flexible for transportation of goods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Very cool.

Thought about doing this (as I suppose everyone has) because I have a MicroMachine Falcon that's not doing anything useful right now. But for some reason it just didn't seem right. Can't explain exactly why. Maybe it's just too iconic. Everyone knows the Falcon. The other MicroMachines I've used are from Alien or Starship Troopers, and an obscure Star Trek ship. I guess the same reason I haven't used any Federation ships.

That said, it didn't stop me from playing around and putting together a Red Solo character. At some point, I'll figure out how to upload images here and share that. By the way, HUGE thanks to everyone here who've done cards, as I've used many of them as the basis for conversions.

The Falcon "hotel" pieces from the Star Wars Monopoly game might be a good size. Also if you could source one from the Star Wars Battleship game. Fantasy Flight will soon be releasing a set of small transports for the Armada game, and it will include ships like the Falcon, Slave 1, etc., and would be a good source for some extra ships. http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Rogues_and_Villains_Ex...
Those bases are about an inch in diameter.

For the record, if you haven't tried it, Armada is a really fun game. I recommend it highly.

Name-wise, I've used the Aluminum Falcon for my version, and a generic futuristic space shuttle for the mini.

I'm also a huge fan of the "Millennium Enterprise".

Funny I must have the same thing (picture below) picked it up for 50 pence. I have not played armada yet but I love xwing alot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Clayton
msg tools

Copied dodger to keep things square, not sure if I've uploaded the image properly though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.