Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love action selection/worker placement games, but I also hate redundancy in my game collection. This means inevitably one of the games just collects dust. I've been eyeing Caylus for a while and I'm thinking of trading for it, but I recently acquired a kickstarter copy of Drum Roll, which I love and it seems they share some similarities. Can anyone tell me if its worth having both in my collection. I play mostly 2 player with my wife and with the occasional gaming group. Thank for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a quick scan through Rahdo's Run Through of Drum Roll. I didn't see any significant similarities.

What makes you think Caylus resembles this title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
I love action selection/worker placement games, but I also hate redundancy in my game collection. This means inevitably one of the games just collects dust. I've been eyeing Caylus for a while and I'm thinking of trading for it, but I recently acquired a kickstarter copy of Drum Roll, which I love and it seems they share some similarities. Can anyone tell me if its worth having both in my collection. I play mostly 2 player with my wife and with the occasional gaming group. Thank for the help!

Drum Roll is a fine game, but Caylus is the best game ever made.

So, no overlap really, only the most superficial 'worker placement' similarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both are quite different despite sharing the same worker placement mechanic.

Caylus has no luck element in the game and highly conflict with players blocking in most spots. It also has majority bonus scoring from each Castle stages.

Drum Roll leans more to the economy side and has little direct conflict. Most all spaces on board aren't blocked (except the resource spaces and turn order of the hire performer and personnel). Also Drum roll has small amount of Tableau building with set collection.

I own both. With the player count, I think Drum Roll is better than Caylus in 2P side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Drum Roll is a fine game, but Caylus is the best game ever made.

So, no overlap really, only the most superficial 'worker placement' similarity.

I agree, Caylus is the best game ever made. Unless you said you didn't like euros or worker placement games, there's no reason not to get this masterpiece. Go ahead and get drum roll later, but definitely don't let it prevent you from getting Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Need'? No one needs Caylus but its a great game to play and nothing like Drum Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:

Of course by asking this question on the Caylus forums you will get people, like myself, claiming this is the best game and you should get it absolutely. The reality is you would get the same sort of comments about Drum Roll if you were to post this question on that forum. Personal, subjective comments aside, if you like worker placement games then this is one you should at least try.

Since Caylus is 10 years old now and is one of the founding fathers of worker placement games, a lot of it’s mechanics aren’t unique. What keeps Caylus relevant and what makes it stand apart is the arrangement in which it uses those mechanics. Here are a few notable points.

-Caylus has a balance of strategy and tactics not often seen in games these days. Like any game you have to adapt to what’s going on to maximize your points but you have a lot of freedom to approach the game in widely different ways. Rarely is there ever a strategy you can’t use because you were muscled out of the spaces and resources you need; there are multiple paths to victory and multiple ways to go about those paths.

-Caylus gives more workers than most. The aforementioned point is partly because each player gets 6 workers and because there are a lot of spaces that provide the resources you need. This gives you a lot of options, especially as the game moves into the final rounds.

-Caylus has a lot more player interaction than most Euros. The ever changing turn order, the race to resource spaces, the limited space in the castle sections, the influencing of the provost, even the lack of individual player boards, all create a very engaging experience with your opponents.

Caylus may have the same ingredients as other games but that doesn’t mean they are the same dish.

Really at the end of the day we Caylus fans are a cult and we want you to come join us and will do anything we can to nab you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/90227/facts-about-caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.