United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
When attacking a monster do you need the exact light to negate the darkness?

For example, there is a monster at Darkness -3 and I only have 2 Light. Do I need at least 3 light to be able to use the light at all or can I use the 2 Light so the Darkness becomes -1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickydude wrote:
When attacking a monster do you need the exact light to negate the darkness?

For example, there is a monster at Darkness -3 and I only have 2 Light. Do I need at least 3 light to be able to use the light at all or can I use the 2 Light so the Darkness becomes -1?

Exactly. Light mitigates the darkness penalty. So if you go into the dungeon without light, you can still attack. In the case above, if you go get a -3 light penalty, you would add 6 defense to the monster.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each point of Light cancels one rank of Darkness penalty. So on the Wilderness side of the board, you can attack rank 3 with 2 Light and will take a -2 penalty to your attack.

Note that having negative Light doesn't really do anything. So if you attack the guy who gives "Suffer -1 Light" with 0 Light, it doesn't make anything worse (but it will cancel out the first point of light you would have received from various card effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
tankbard wrote:
Note that having negative Light doesn't really do anything. So if you attack the guy who gives "Suffer -1 Light" with 0 Light, it doesn't make anything worse (but it will cancel out the first point of light you would have received from various card effects).

Negative Light is what causes a player to incur a Darkness penalty. The dungeon ranks are inherently -1/-2/-3 Light. If you battle a monster who says "Suffer Light -1", that makes that particular rank all the darker, and so you'll need more Light to counteract the Darkness if you want to avoid a Darkness penalty. The rank has 'Darkness' if it has negative Light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shir E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
If you battle a monster who says "Suffer Light -1", that makes that particular rank all the darker, and so you'll need more Light to counteract the Darkness if you want to avoid a Darkness penalty. The rank has 'Darkness' if it has negative Light.

So just to make sure, if I am fighting a monster in rank 1 (on the dungeon side), I do not have any light, and the monster has the trait: "suffer -1 light".
The Darkness still remain 1, and the attack penalty is -2....is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over the rules again I'm a bit confused. wow

On page 20 it says:

If any Darkness remains, reduce your Total Attack Value by the value next to that Darkness value on the dungeon board..."

Does that not mean you can not use "partial" light? If a monster is at Darkness -4 then you need either 4 light (plus Defense value of monster) or the Defense value of the monster plus an extra 4 attack to compensate for the light?

This seems to me that you can't, for example, use 2 Light against a -4 Darkness monster, you HAVE to use 4 light or none at all.

I'm confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the rule book

You can definitely negate part of the Darkness penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the official stance? laugh

I'll be doing a playthrough on my YouTube channel in the near future and I want to make sure I'm playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's what they say in the Thunderstone Advance - How To Play document:
Quote:
Add up your Total Attack Value. Apply the penalty for any remaining Darkness.

And in the rule book (on page 18):
Quote:
Subtract your Light from the Darkness.
• If Light eliminates Darkness, (i.e., Darkness minus Light is zero or less), you suffer no penalty to your Total Attack Value. You gain no bonus for excess Light.
• If any Darkness remains, reduce your Total Attack Value by the value next to the remaining Darkness. The dungeon board you use will tell you whether this is –1 to Attack per point of Darkness or –2 to Attack
per point of Darkness. Keep this in mind when deciding which monster to engage.

Both sections make it pretty clear, that only the _remaining_ Darkness counts. It only tells you to look at the printed values to figure out whether you have to substract 1 attack per point of _remaining_ Darkness (i.e. you're using the Wilderness board side) or 2 (i.e. you're using the Dungeon board side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls