Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did see this was addressed to some degree in the forum, but I wanted to ask this a bit more directly:

Is this an active or passive ability?

If active, then at most you can take 6 actions during the action phase:

1. Use a tokens.
2. Purchase 1 card from the queue.
3. Use your non monetary special ability.
4. Use your monetary special ability,
5. Use your one a game special ability.
6. Use another token, but not more than 2.

Correct?

I only ask because the rule book, under character specific special ability, doesn't list the monetary ability, leading me to wonder if it was passive (i.e. went into effect by the mere act of entering the phase).

Bonus question:

Is the Station Master's Benefit ability a once per round ability, or once per action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+$1 ability is passive. Occurs every time you enter the action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
+$1 ability is passive. Occurs every time you enter the action phase.

Can't be passive -- otherwise if you passed your entire turn you'd get this + the passing bonus, which other forum threads seemed to think didn't occur.. that is unless it does stack and they were wrong (the designer stayed mute in that thread, but I assumed a lack of comment was tacit approval of the community's consensus).

Hummm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay well if you say it can't be passive, then it must be active

Brian is really good about responding. I'm sure he will be here soon to give official. I guess I never really ever see passing a turn in a game so didn't think about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Okay well if you say it can't be passive, then it must be active

Brian is really good about responding. I'm sure he will be here soon to give official. I guess I never really ever see passing a turn in a game so didn't think about that.

Heh, sorry if that was abrupt. I was racing out the door to work.

*Ahem* My intention was less declarative and more interrogative in aim:

If the action is passive, then it should have an additive relationship to the passing money boon. If it is not passive, then it stands as an action, is something a player could "miss" during their turn, and might even be mutually exclusive to the other ability with a close reading of the action options (though I doubt this based on forum chatter).

So, which is it?

I might send a PM to the developer for a concrete answer.

Regardless, thank you for the reply. I didn't mean to sound brisk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The income is a part of the role action. So if you are passing your turn, that income does not add to the $ taken from passing.

Often people take that money at the start of their action phase simply so they don't forget but technically, it is something that happens when you use the benefit of your role as one of the actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmayer wrote:
The income is a part of the role action. So if you are passing your turn, that income does not add to the $ taken from passing.

Often people take that money at the start of their action phase simply so they don't forget but technically, it is something that happens when you use the benefit of your role as one of the actions.

Thank you for the clarification.

So are all normal (i.e. not once per game) abilities usable only once per round? That was my assumption, but the wording with the Station Master doesn't make that clear upon a secondary read.

I really wish you had addressed the monetary benefits in the manual somewhere (or produced a FAQ). It was probably the most confusing aspect when initially learning the game (I originally thought it was a cost for using the ability, until I looked closer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls