Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking to get more involved on the other side of the booth (so to speak) in gaming. For instance, a friend of mine helped WotC demo some games at NY ComiCon a few years ago. Does anyone know the best way I can offer my services?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the company, but it usually helps to have done demos or convention work previously and then reach out to the publisher you want to work with.

I know it's been a long time, but when I was at the NY Boardgame Meetups with you and Avri, I was working with a few publishers and their demo teams because I was already working at local conventions and stores so I had references to use that showed my abilities to do demos and could present those conventions and stores as targeted places to do more demos for the companies. Obviously, the longevity and connections help a lot, but like any other job, showing that you have the skills they would be looking for and enthusiasm goes a long way.

The first step is to reach out to the companies to begin with, and as a long time player, you can usually use that as the basis to show your potential value to the company. Familiarity with the products and doing demos or even just teaching the games with a store or convention helps to show that you can help to do demos with minimal help.

I should probably point out that gaming companies are very few at NYCC in recent years. I think Steve Jackson Games, Foam Brain Games, and The Compleat Strategist have been the only tabletop related booths the last few years. Likely partly due to the loss of an open gaming area as they have now completely filled up the entire convention center with vendors, stages, panel spaces, and artist areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid Hat Games is always looking for Prototype Testers, if you join their organization, they often ask for help demoing or helping out at local conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe check out if companies looking for volunteers on bgg. That´s how I got in contact with artipia last year (for the spiel) and they weren´t the only company looking. For smaller cons, contact the companies directly? Especially smaller companies could be looking for help, I think fantasy flight is all set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls