Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the drinking ettiquette at the con? Is it bad form if I crack one open at the table or does nobody care? I've been to cons with different philosophies about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our experience last year, as long as you aren't a douche canoe, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would at least ask your table first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
In our experience last year, as long as you aren't a douche canoe, go for it.

I would agree. In the 3 times I have attended I only witnessed one episode of douchebaggery due to inebriation. We were playing in a wargame room late (typical extremely long wargame) and another table in the room had some drunks playing some game. They were loud....very loud. Typical reaction you would expect from a drunk when asked to quiet down a bit. This was an exception though....just dont be 'those people'. I mean, not much beats a beer and a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell beer at the concession downstairs so it's no big deal. You're technically only supposed to imbibe alcohol sold by the hotel in the public convention space. I have seen people bring their own beer.

In the past two years there has been an informal scotch tasting, but that's an unofficial event that Bart Brundshen has organized.

My roommate this year is a fellow oenophile, so we'll be comparing notes on some some good bottles we're bringing down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally fine if you're polite. Some folks bring alcohol into their room and then transfer it into a thermos or mug. Just take it easy and be subtle and you're fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. Before you imbibe, ask if anyone minds.
2. If no one minds, ask if anyone wants a drink.

Edit: Stolen from here:
http://ryanmacklin.com/2011/07/bringing-alcohol-to-conventio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
They sell beer at the concession downstairs so it's no big deal. You're technically only supposed to imbibe alcohol sold by the hotel in the public convention space. I have seen people bring their own beer.

In the past two years there has been an informal scotch tasting, but that's an unofficial event that Bart Brundshen has organized.

My roommate this year is a fellow oenophile, so we'll be comparing notes on some some good bottles we're bringing down.

I do plan to hold another scotch tasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
2. If no one minds, ask if anyone wants a drink.

Edit: Stolen from here:
http://ryanmacklin.com/2011/07/bringing-alcohol-to-conventio...

#Following
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also a lively beer tasting/exchange at last year's con. That was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't spill on the boardgames.

2) Lift your pinky up when you drink, what are you a barbarian?

3) Stop drinking when you can't tell an Orc from an Elf. Or a Tribble from a bantha.

4) Remember to tip your GM

5) Geekgold does not taste like jagermeister.

6) Wood for Porter?

7) Do not go shot for shot with anyone from Team Geek. You will lose, one way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Oenophile? I learned a new word today!

It's also way classier than "wino".

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

The official policy in the past has been no outside alcohol in the convention space. Please do not throw your outside alcohol containers in the convention space trash cans...but that wouldn't happen anyway because you aren't supposed to be drinking outside alcohol in the convention space...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, I don't care of someone is drinking at the con. The one pet peeve of mine is:

Clean up your empties when you are finished! You aren't sitting in a parking lot before a sporting event or at a bar expecting someone to come around and clean up after you. I hate finding an empty table, but I have to clean it up or I watch one of the volunteers from the BGG staff have to clean it up because people are too damn lazy to pick up their own mess.

Okay, I am better now. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Echeverria
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
mbmbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:
To me, I don't care of someone is drinking at the con. The one pet peeve of mine is:

Clean up your empties when you are finished! You aren't sitting in a parking lot before a sporting event or at a bar expecting someone to come around and clean up after you. I hate finding an empty table, but I have to clean it up or I watch one of the volunteers from the BGG staff have to clean it up because people are too damn lazy to pick up their own mess.

I feel like this applies to any food/beverage and just common sense in general.

I don't think there is any problem consuming something that is sold at the con. I think the real question here is getting sloppy drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:

As a boardgamer, team geek member, and part-time adult (when I have to be), I couldn't agree more. Pick up after yourselves. You're in a hotel basement, not your mom's basement. Not that she should have to pick up after you either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably as long as you don't barf on the table, get black out drunk and believe you are playing the Walking Dead LARP and you are the zombie, or try to reenact scenes from Coyotee Ugly you should be ok. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Probably as long as you don't barf on the table, get black out drunk and believe you are playing the Walking Dead LARP and you are the zombie, or try to reenact scenes from Coyotee Ugly you should be ok. whistle

I remember that con! Or at least what people told me about it when I sobered up the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Bring bourbon to the con.
2. Place bourbon in a flask.
3. ????
4. Profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
1. Bring bourbon to the con.
2. Place bourbon in a flask.
3. ????
4. Profit!

Do those rules apply to rye? I'm more of a rye man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
I'm more of a rye man.

"Oh, a rye guy. Nyuk nyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I nod my head....you hit it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I think I'm going to have to disagree with that. This is not Saudi Arabia. Alcohol is sold at the venue. A person drinking alcohol in your presence does not need your permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
dysjunct wrote:
I think I'm going to have to disagree with that. This is not Saudi Arabia. Alcohol is sold at the venue. A person drinking alcohol in your presence does not need your permission.

Even baseball games have dry sections of the stadiums. If a drinker at the table makes a player uncomfortable, I'll abstain or move on. (Granted this would apply only to games I'm dropping in on rather than games I'm running).

Simply put, I wouldn't want a good buzz of mine to ruin another's enjoyment. We're all there to have the best time we can have. It's not a zero sum game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is 'ask first'.

Personally, I don't mind if someone has a drink while we're gaming, but the smell of alcohol bothers me, and does lessen my enjoyment of the game. If you're drinking anything harder than beer or wine, I'd rather not game with you.
I'd also ask that anyone I'm teaching a game to be sober, and stay at least mostly that way. Having had to deal with a pretty drunk person in the middle of a three-hour game, it's not any fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |