Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the monkey moves past a monster and is attacked and rolls crits, can he move to a close space after he reaches his target space or before? It'd be useless if before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah P.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason!

According to the rule book at page 19, the rules state, "Whenever a Hero that occupies a Space Close to a Monster moves to another Space, he triggers that Monster’s Guard Reaction" I would think this means that you can do the monkey king's ability after you've moved to the space. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonah Pak wrote:
Hi Jason!

According to the rule book at page 19, the rules state, "Whenever a Hero that occupies a Space Close to a Monster moves to another Space, he triggers that Monster’s Guard Reaction" I would think this means that you can do the monkey king's ability after you've moved to the space. =)

That's what I was thinking but it leads to really odd situations. For example, if I move away from 2 monsters. Monster 1 attacks me and I roll a crit and use my ability to move another space away. Now Monster 2 is no longer in range to attack me but he should get the opportunity. Let's just say we let him attack even though monkey king is now 2 spaces away. What if I crit again? I get to move yet another space away?

Also, if you die while moving away, where do the items drop that you were holding? The space you were moving FROM or the space you were moving TO?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will probably want an official call on this one. Try posting it in the coolminiornot forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Also, if you die while moving away, where do the items drop that you were holding? The space you were moving FROM or the space you were moving TO?
In the space you are moving from. The monster attack interrupts your movement before you leave the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:
In the space you are moving from. The monster attack interrupts your movement before you leave the space.

I disagree, the monster action does not block movement, it is a reaction to movement. Loot would be left in the space you are moving into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular movement seemed clear either in the rulebook or in the FAQ. My recollection is that it shared that a regular move isn't taken until after the guard reaction and so if the hero is killed due to the guard reaction, it would be on the space they are moving from.

The difficulty is that with Monkey King, his ability triggers on the defense roll (before the initial movement is completed), so after the guard reaction is resolved, does he then get a "free" move without guard reactions to the next space? I know the move triggered by his ability does not provoke reactions, but what about the move made after his triggered ability? Has that already been triggered with the initial reactions???

Ex. Spaces A > B > and C with a monster in A and B. Monkey King is in space A moving on to space B then to C. Moving from A to B triggers two guard reactions from monster A and monster B. Monster A initiates the reaction first and Monkey King's defense triggers a crit moving him from A to B without a guard reaction. Now that he is at B, does moving from B to C trigger two guard reactions or one?

It only seems fair that moving from B to C triggers one reaction from Monster B while monster A is considered as having already triggered the reaction for this move. If that reaction triggers another crit, Monkey King could then move from B to C and then have another "free move" from C to wherever without a reaction from B. Right?

Going back, if the guard reaction from Monster A kills Monkey King, but his defense rolled a crit, he would have moved to space B and then died dropping any tokens in space B.

What seems weird is tracking guard reactions after Monkey King's special ability movement. Though not in this particular instance, If the monster controlling player activates the wrong monster first, Monkey King can effectively evade one or more guard reactions (which I think is the fair use of this ability). It also leads to questions about whether the movement after the ability triggers additional reactions or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
I disagree, the monster action does not block movement, it is a reaction to movement. Loot would be left in the space you are moving into.
You may disagree, but you're still wrong (and who said anything about blocked movement, anyway?!)

Here's a related question from the FAQ:
Quote:
Q. If Leeroy starts a Move in Line of Sight of an Ally,
but moves out of it, triggering a Guard Reaction, does
he get his natural ability’s extra die for his Defense roll?
A. No. The Guard Reaction takes place before he gets to leave
the Space in LoS of an Ally, so his ability is not active.

Now convinced? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:
You may disagree, but you're still wrong (and who said anything about blocked movement, anyway?!)

Here's a related question from the FAQ:
Quote:
Q. If Leeroy starts a Move in Line of Sight of an Ally,
but moves out of it, triggering a Guard Reaction, does
he get his natural ability’s extra die for his Defense roll?
A. No. The Guard Reaction takes place before he gets to leave
the Space in LoS of an Ally, so his ability is not active.

Now convinced? cool

Based on that, I would be inclined to say he moves before his movement ends so that could have the following effects: He may move out of range of a melee guard reaction yet to happen, if he's still in range of additional queued guard reactions, it's possible he could move even further. That's how I'll play it until I hear otherwise. A slight nerf to his movement around the map but a buff in avoiding additional attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.