Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This weekend played two sessions of MN.

Few years ago one of our BGG members (Richard Young) responded to a OP thread about what are some of the strategies used in which can be significant in the outcome of the game and after playing over seventy games it still stands tall on top of my list.

Whoever becomes Director of Commerce during the middle/towards the end of the game holds the key to success.

we just played this game this weekend and his remark from eight years ago still stands out and this weekend session was no exception.
Saturday game was a classic example of what Richard had said.

On Sunday we played another session and we often use the strategy of attacking another player with the help of an ally (never alone).

One thing that gave me bad taste about the sunday session is that 2/3rd in to the game everyone gets together and attacks the runaway leader and for me this is not what MN is all about. This game is MUCH higher than a Risk style game.

Rome was way ahead of everyone else and the other players all became united against her and they were upset at me (Greece) for not joining them and I realized up to this point the game was fantastic, everyone is looking out for their own best interest, some alliance formed and then quickly broke and new alliance were formed but towards the end of the game suddenly the game shifted to 4 players go against one and they were looking for me to join them as the 5th player and I decided not to and the end result was Rome still managed to win the game but I felt my disregard to alliance made her win the game. Some folks were somewhat disappointed at me.

Have you encountered this problem and if yes how do you respond to 3 to 4 people gang up against the leader ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
You mean you've played MN 70+ times? With or without rules modifications, with or without the expansion, with or without the standard setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ageofconan wrote:

One thing that gave me bad taste about the sunday session is that 2/3rd in to the game everyone gets together and attacks the runaway leader and for me this is not what MN is all about.

I see this as a feature, not a flaw...

Step away from MN for a moment. You have a generic game, and someone has a good lead, so now what to do or allow about the situation? The options are essentially:

1) Do nothing, a significant early lead will be an eventual win

2) Apply some mechanic based throttling to slow the winner down, and let the others catch-up

3) Have a game where losers can gang-up on the leader to hold him back, and let them catch-up with him.

There are lots of ways and means to accomplish these, but in essence those are the 3 contending philosophies.

1) is fine in a short game, but in a long game is awful, and points to needing an end condition that kicks in once inevitability (or even high likelihood) is present.

2) is very artificial and euroesque, and tends to be hated in anything more than a light/medium euro.

3) is therefore the preferred choice for any thematic or long game by default.

I actively prefer and seek games where that table is responsible for balancing itself out. That inevitably means some version of bashing the leader. I think that's a good thing, and I would refrain from playing any game with significant elements of #1 or #2

Would you really prefer that scenario? It seems utterly incomprehensible for me in this style of game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.