Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the title and nature of the Event when played unshaded for the US, I could not bring myself to use the Irregular in Saigon as one location where I would then shift "1 level toward Active Opposition" when playing it shaded for the VC. How and why (I thought) would a Long Range Recon Patrol "into enemy territory" be ambushed in the city of Saigon? So, having none outside South Vietnam, I executed the ambushes in the highlands of Pleiku, Bin Dinh and Quang Tri. What do you think?

BTW, I'm playing all four factions and am on the fourth card of the full (1964-1972) long game: Nam-Cockpit of the Cold War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a more historical question, which I will defer to others. But I will say that the event:
LRRP wrote:
Unshaded: Long Range Recon Patrol: US places 3 Irregulars outside the South then free Air Strikes, removing Bases first.
Shaded: Patrols ambushed: 3 Irregulars map to Casualties. Shift each space they were in 1 level toward Active Opposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the US brought wild mountain tribesmen into Saigon, I wouldn't be the least surprised if the VC 1. managed to ambush them and 2. made great anti-west/anti-RVN propaganda out of it. Ambushing a US Special Forces unit in Saigon would be harder to pull off, but the propaganda value would be even greater.

(Remember that ARVN Rangers are not Irregulars, so they can't be removed by shaded LRRP.)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, now this thread has me wondering exactly who these Urban Irregulars in Saigon are... Gangs of street urchins a la Sherlock Holmes's Baker Street Irregulars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably US Special Forces units training in Saigon waiting to be deployed somewhere else.

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:

OK, now this thread has me wondering exactly who these Urban Irregulars in Saigon are... Gangs of street urchins a la Sherlock Holmes's Baker Street Irregulars?

In The Green Berets, Robin Moore recounts a story about US Special Forces bailing out 100 criminals from the Saigon jail and making them into a company of effective (but brutal) fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
US/ARVN skipped LRRP?!?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:

Happens sometimes. Especially in Solo, bots don't look at the next card ahead unless it's a coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
Were not eligible. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world. I just started a solo game playing the U.S. Very first card was LRRP! Oh yeah I took the event. Three bases gone and a Trail at 0 sends the NVA bot (heck, even a real player) into rebuild Hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Small world. I just started a solo game playing the U.S. Very first card was LRRP! Oh yeah I took the event. Three bases gone and a Trail at 0 sends the NVA bot (heck, even a real player) into rebuild Hell.

It is one of the most powerful early cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that that big Saigon circle includes environs such as the capital region Gia Dinh, Bien Hoa, Go Cong, Vung Tau ... and that things were quite hot just outside the capital city too. vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Keep in mind that that big Saigon circle includes environs such as the capital region Gia Dinh, Bien Hoa, Go Cong, Vung Tau ... and that things were quite hot just outside the capital city too. vfr

Beat me to it. "Urban" Saigon back then is still fairly rustic by American standards even granting that some of our contemporary urban areas resemble demilitarized zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls